We know things look a little different this year, so here are some Frequently Asked Questions and answers to help you be ready for what happens next.

Our Re-entry Plan

Phase 1

Campus access strongly restricted. All curriculum delivered off-campus. All services delivered online or over the phone.

Phase 2

Campus access restricted. Curriculum delivered in flexible environment. Some labs and experiential learning take place on campus. Most services are delivered online or over the phone.

Phase 2+

Enhanced public health protocols are in effect with increased access to certain areas and services.

Phase 3

No restrictions on campus access. Most curriculum delivery able to return to campus. In-person campus services resume.

Phase 2 plus

We are currently in Phase 2+ of our re-entry plan.
This includes adherence to all public health measures introduced by the Government of Alberta.
Please review the plan for what this means for you.



Here's how we're responding to students' concerns about COVID-19

Lethbridge College is continuing to survey students about how the COVID-19 pandemic and the shift to online learning affected them. We heard concerns about academic success, engagement and interaction with instructors and fellow students, staying motivated and feeling isolated.

Here are some key results of the survey as well as resources for learning online. 

View the survey result to see how we’re responding to address students’ concerns. 

Winter 2020 COVID-19 Student Survey 

Fall 2020 COVID-19 Student Survey


Most Asked Questions


View COVID-19 Student Survey


View our guides to Isolation resources

Student Guide     Employee Guide

How do provincial public health measures affect Lethbridge College?

Lethbridge College leadership has met to review all current enhanced public health guidelines put in place by the Province of Alberta and has heard directly from the Ministry of Advanced Education to ensure we are compliant.

Here’s an overview of how the new regulations affect campus:

  • All classes have been moved to online delivery. Only necessary, hands-on labs are being delivered in-person at this time.
  • Masks continue to be mandatory in all common areas on-campus. Classroom, lab and workplace requirements vary depending on use. Please check with your instructor or supervisor for information.
  • Students who require computer, internet and printer access can go to TE1226, which is best accessed from the main entrance. IB Commons is closed for the spring and summer terms. 
  • The Food Court is open.
  • The Fitness Centre is closed at this time. Please see below for more information.
  • College employees have been instructed to work remotely unless absolutely necessary to limit on-campus contact.

The stronger public health measures are in place until further notice. Review the public health measures on the Government of Alberta website.

How will my program be delivered in the Fall 2021 semester?

During the 2020-21 academic year, Lethbridge College has successfully shifted to a flexible learning environment that has balanced learning outcomes with the health and safety for the entire college community. While a sizeable portion of the curriculum was delivered remotely, the college still hosted many classes and labs on-campus throughout both semesters.

With the success of the current academic year, the college is confident it will be able to welcome even more students and classes to campus for the Fall 2021 semester. Further details on how many classes will be on-campus and whether the flexible delivery model will continue to be used will be decided in the coming weeks and months, in coordination with Alberta Health Services, the Ministry of Advanced Education and in accordance with all public health measures in place at the time.

It is expected that every program, except for the traditionally online-only classes, will have an on-campus presence this fall.

How do I apply to attend Lethbridge College beginning in September 2021?

Applications for the Fall 2021 semester are open now!

The deadline for applications are as follows:

  • Domestic students: September 7, 2021
  • International students: June 1, 2021
  • International students (in Canada, with valid study permits): August 15, 2021

Check program and seat availability here: https://lethbridgecollege.ca/departments/admissions/how-to-apply/program-application-status


Academics and Student Support

Program pages will contain up-to-date delivery information as we move towards September 2021. Visit your program page then open the Courses tab for details.

I need help with something. Who should I contact?

We’ve created a Quick Reference Guide to Services for Students outlining:

  • the services available to you from 20 different service areas;
  • the many different ways you can contact them;
  • and the role of key people in your academic centre so you know who to contact for various needs.

This guidebook is in PDF format so you can download and keep a copy on your device.

What does a flexible learning environment look like at Lethbridge College?

The flexible learning environment at Lethbridge College includes a variety of teaching methods:  

  • on campus 

  • blended 

  • online 

Here are some of terms you'll see as we describe delivery methods:

Blended – a blended course is intentionally designed to include continuum of both face to face/on-campus and online delivery. This includes both synchronous (in real-time on a set schedule) and asynchronous learning strategies (learning that does not occur at the same time or same place). Communication, instruction and assessment components of a blended course provide consistent information but go further by enhancing and supplementing each other. Students may complete some of their lessons online and may also be required to come to campus.  

Online – Online courses are instructor led.  Communications, teaching and assessment components are delivered solely online, and do not have any on-campus elements. They are taught through a learning management system and may be either synchronous (in real-time on a set schedule) or asynchronous (learning that does not occur at the same time or same place). Students complete all their work online and are not required to come to campus. 

On Campus –On-campus courses are connected to a learning management system.  However, the primary means of delivery is in a synchronous (on a set schedule), face to face classroom. Students will complete the majority, or all, of their work on-campus. 

Asynchronous – Learning does not occur at the same time or same place. Instructor provides materials including online readings, recorded lectures or presentations, posted lecture notes, video content, assignments and exams for online completion. Students access the course materials within a flexible timeframe prescribed by the instructor.   

Synchronous – Learning happens in real time. Student and instructors interact and engage with each other in a specific virtual space, through a specific online medium, at a specific time. This can include video conferencing, live chatting, and live-streaming lectures.   

Experiential learning elements: This is the application of theory and academic content to real-world experiences – the what and how to do things. This can be done in a classroom, within the community, within a workplace environment or the virtual classroom. Examples could include group work, participation in class debates, mock trials, role-plays, lab experiments and creating prototypes. Experiential learning happens when students engage in an activity related to the roles they will fill as graduates and also through reflection. 

Does a flexible learning environment meet my program requirements?

Content presented in our flexible model will provide the same curriculum requirements as classroom-based learning, while using technology to enhance learning and ensure student and faculty safety from a distance.

I'm now realizing I need a little help brushing up or getting up-to-speed on tips for college. Help?

No problem! You have access to two optional, free courses that may help you succeed. Even with the fall semester underway, there is still a lot of value in these courses for students. The first, Get Ready: a refresher for new students, focuses on content you learned in English, Math, and Science – you only have to complete the ones related to your program. Please note this module is not for students in Academic Upgrading. The second is Set for Success: navigating learning at a distance, full of tips and trips for how to be successful while learning from home.

How do I get my student ID card?

We offer a selfie ID service, which means you can submit your own digital photograph to use as your ID. Please submit your selfie ID information as soon as possible to give us time to send you your card.

How do I buy my textbooks?

Order them online from the college Bookstore. Please order early to allow time for delivery. If you look up a course and there’s nothing listed, that means that course doesn’t require a textbook or other special supplies.

To order books, you'll need your course list, found in MyHorizon. Login from a computer (not your phone) using your college email and password. Your course list is found on the left menu under Student Information, then Student Class Schedule. Visit the Bookstore online, click on Textbooks, add your courses and your shopping list will populate.

The Bookstore is closed to walk-in traffic. Your order will be shipped or you can arrange pickup.

I am an incoming student. Can I defer my offer of admission if I am unable to begin classes at the start of the upcoming semester?

If you encounter study permit restrictions, other significant barriers due to the pandemic or feel apprehensive about learning in a virtual environment, we are here to help. We’d love to have you join our community and encourage you to contact us at admissions@lethbridgecollege.ca to discuss your options.

I am interested in studying abroad for a semester this year. Will I be able to go?

Study board opportunities are currently suspended until the end of the Fall 2021 semester. Visit our International Experiences page for more information and updates.

How do I get support from Student Affairs or the Registrar's Office?

Whether you're on-campus or learning remotely, you’re still part of the Lethbridge College community. Student supports are available remotely, including academic advising, coaching, writing support, career advising, counselling and lots more.

Check out the remote resources offered by the Library, ITS Help Desk, the Learning Café, eLearning Café, Accessibility Services, Testing Services, Career and Academic Advising, Wellness Services, Admissions, Registration, and Student Awards and Financial Aid, among others.

What supports are in place for Indigenous students?

The Indigenous Services team is available to answer any questions and provide support via email.

To reach a member of our team, contact us at indigenous@lethbridgecollege.ca. If you have any inquiries regarding your Indigenous or Band Sponsorship, please contact sponsorship@lethbridgecollege.ca.

You can contact the team by phone 403-320-3202 ext. 5731 or email indigenous@lethbridgecollege.ca.

My course timetable shows a room number assigned to my course. Is that where I should go?

Please disregard the classroom location noted with each course. You will attend these courses using technology, not attending on campus unless otherwise directed by your instructor. For programs requiring on-campus work in lab or clinical settings, details will be sent to you through your Lethbridge College email or shared through Canvas, our learning management software.

How do I attend my online classes?

Check Canvas, our learning management system, by signing in with your Lethbridge College email and password, for details on how to access your virtual classroom for each course, and your college email account for detailed instructions from your instructor. Remember, if your class is being offered online synchronously you should be logging in at that specific time in order to attend the class in real time with your classmates and instructor.

How do I see my schedule?

Go to Student Information in the menu on the left of MyHorizon. This is best viewed from a computer. If on a mobile device, download the Ellucian Go app on your phone to see your schedule. You may notice a room number attached to each of your courses. Please disregard the classroom location. You will attend these courses using technology, not attending on campus unless otherwise directed by your instructor. For programs requiring on-campus work in lab or clinical settings, details will be sent to you through your Lethbridge College email. Additional information about each course can also be found in Canvas, the college’s learning management system.  Remember, if you see plans for a synchronous class, that means you should plan to attend at that specific time to engage with your instructor and classmates in real time.

Can someone help me with my computer/logging in/accessing technology?

The Information Technology Services help desk is available to help students with their technology needs.

Please seek support first through one of these remote methods available to all students and employees:

Remote Help Desk hours:

  • 7:30 a.m. to 5 p.m. Monday through Thursday,  7:30 a.m. to 4:30 p.m. on Fridays.

If other methods have not resolved your issue, walk-in support hours and location are:

  • 9 a.m. to 5 p.m. Monday through Thursday; and 8:30 a.m. to 4:30 p.m. Fridays in TE2217, a classroom that allows more space for physical distancing as well as separate doors for entrance and exit. Please follow the signage and, again, please try to use remote help options first. TE2217 is expected to remain in use until Sept. 18.

  • As of Sept. 21, it’s anticipated in-person support will be provided by appointment only in TE2208.

Any changes to this schedule will be reflected on the ITS website. You can also find out about mobile apps, free Office 365 software and more on the ITS pages.

What are the technology requirements to be able to learn remotely?

The college's Information Technology Services department has put together a comprehensive list of the technology requirements you need to learn remotely. You can access the list here.


Information for Trades students

Where do I get the latest information about apprenticeship programs?

For up-to-date information on apprenticeship programs, visit Apprenticeship and Industry Training (AIT) at tradesecrets.alberta.ca and watch your email for updates.

I am in an apprenticeship or trades program. Do I need to come to campus?

Yes, there are times where you do need to come to come to campus. All classes will be offered in a blended format. They will start with a virtual orientation, and some theory portions of your program will be taught online. However, all labs will be held on campus, so make sure you plan your accommodations knowing you will be on campus for much of your program.

How do apprenticeship and trades students get their books and supplies?

Apprenticeship and trades students should order all books, parking passes and supplies online at the college bookstore. Please order early to allow time for delivery.

I’m an apprentice student and would like to register for courses. When can I do that?

You can view registration dates for each program by visiting the Alberta Apprenticeship and Industry Training (AIT) website. If you need to reach us, email tradeslc@lethbridgecollege.ca or call 403-320-3411.


Services and Facilities

Am I able to access the campus?

Yes, current students are able to access campus if they need to.

Anyone accessing campus must enter through one of two designated entrances. A map of designated entrances is available here. Students and employees will need a Lethbridge College ID card to enter campus. ID cards will be scanned as you enter the building. You need to scan your ID card every time you enter through a controlled entrance, even if you have already scanned in that day.

Students should only come to campus "with purpose" according to the college's re-entry guidelines. Examples of "with purpose" include students living in residence; students who require access to computer, internet or printing facilities (these services are available only in TE1226); students who have an appointment to access a campus service; or students who are attending labs, trades programs and experiential learning situations.

You are not expected on campus for classes unless explicitly directed by your instructor. To see the delivery plan for your program, click on your program, from the list here, and visit the Courses tab for details. Check Canvas, our learning management system, signing in with your Lethbridge College email and password, for details on how to access your virtual classroom for each course. If you need a service area, please visit their webpage for various modes of contact.

For more information on current campus access, see the college's COVID-19 information page.

    Am I able to come to campus to work if I want?

    While access to campus is restricted, students do have access to a campus work space - including a computer lab - with the following conditions:


    • Students who need access to computers, internet or printing facilities will be able to use the computer lab in TE1226. This lab is designated for solo use of technology, groups of more than one are not allowed. There is no eating in TE1226.
    • The IB Commons is now closed for the spring and summer terms.
    • If you need a space to work, there are 15 socially distanced work spaces in Founders' Square.
    • Students and employees will need a Lethbridge College ID card to enter campus and must enter through one of two designated entrances. ID cards will be scanned as students and employees enter. 

    Other areas of campus are open as needed for specific classes, but the areas listed above are the only dedicated spaces for free study.

    For more information on campus access, see the college's COVID-19 information page.

    Can I come to campus to print something?

    Yes. Students who need to access to a printer are able to use the computer lab in TE1226 (accessible through the main Centre Core entrance). To print, you will need to log in to our printing service (called PaperCut), and have your S-number and password. The instructions for printing from your personal device, or a college-owned computer and other details are found here.

    Do I need to wear a mask on-campus?

    Yes, non-medical masks or face coverings that cover the mouth and nose are mandatory for all on-campus indoor public spaces, including hallways, washrooms and other common-use spaces.

    Personal protective equipment needs for students attending in-person labs or classes will be determined case by case. Employees will not need to wear masks in their offices as long as they can maintain physical distancing. We understand that not everyone is able to wear a mask or face covering, so we ask everyone to be kind to those unable to do so.

    The Government of Alberta has an information page dedicated to masks, including what to look for in a mask, how to properly wear them and details about proper hygiene.

    Re-usable masks are available for purchase at cost in the Lethbridge College Bookstore.

    According to Alberta Health Services, face shields should not be used as a substitute for a face mask. Face shields should only be worn when working in tight quarters where two-metre distancing cannot be maintained and wearing a mask would cause a safety issue. Face shields are designed to prevent splashes to the face and offer little to no protection when walking in open-air spaces. There have been some exceptions made for individuals who cannot wear a mask for medical or other reasons and a face shield has been used as an alternative. These are exceptions and should be discussed with OHS for advice and direction. Click here for information from Alberta Health Services on masks.

    Can I get food on campus?

    The Food Court is open to purchase meals and snacks.

    During its operating period, Food Services is open from 7:30 a.m. until 2:30 p.m. Monday through Friday. The operation of our Food Court and the Garden Court Restaurant provide invaluable work-integrated learning experiences for students in our Culinary programs. For the safety of staff and students, please follow the signage and maintain safe physical distances of two metres. You will enter and exit through designated doors and order from each counter. Seating is limited, and we encourage the use of cash-free payments (tap, debit and credit cards) to reduce contact.

    For your convenience and to reduce time spent in lines, you can now order your lunch online using the Food Court App. Orders must be placed between 11 a.m. and 2 p.m. You'll find a limited selection of popular lunch items online. Once you order, you'll receive a confirmation email with your order number. Have your order number with you and make your way immediately to the Food Court where you'll find an express pickup line (and quick exit route) available to you. 

    The Garden Court Restaurant is open for the winter, offering dates for lunch and dinner. Details are posted on the Garden Court Facebook page, and reservations are required.

    Food deliveries for meetings or events on campus are suspended until further notice. All food must be picked up in the Food Court.

    Can food delivery drivers access campus?

    For the safety of campus, delivery drivers should not enter the building. If you order food, you should plan to meet the driver at the entrance of the building where you are or where you plan to eat your meal. Delivery drivers should not stop at the College Centre front doors or elsewhere in the loop outside of designated parking spaces as the loop tends to get congested which could be a safety issue for buses, pedestrians and others being dropped off.

    Am I able to use the library or the Centre for Teaching, Learning and Innovation?

    The Buchanan Library is not accessible on campus, however, all of its services are available online, including a live chat. Visit the Buchanan Library website to learn more about available online services or to contact library staff with additional questions.

    Where can I get support with learning remotely?

    Our Centre for Teaching, Learning and Innovation (CTLI) offers resources and tips to help you learn effectively, get to know the online teaching technologies we use, and take care of yourself while learning online. CTLI has launched a new website containing many tips for learning remotely.

    Canvas will be your go-to resource for your classes. Canvas is an online Learning Management System that allows your instructors to connect with you in a virtual environment with everything from announcements, discussion boards, content pages, web-lectures and assessment tools.

    For support, The Hive, an online learning community that is accessible from within all Canvas Courses, provides up-to-date information about important dates, events, resources and services. The Hive also provides live chat support and easy access to learning support from the Library, ITS Help Desk, the Learning Café, eLearning Café, Accessibility Services, Testing Services, Career and Academic Advising and Wellness Services, among others.

    Is the daycare open and accepting applications?

    The Hands on Early Learning Centre is now accepting applications from students, staff and the public. Daycare hours are 7:45 a.m. to 5:30 p.m. Visit the Hands on Early Learning Centre webpage for application information and other details.

    Should I be moving to Lethbridge?

    It depends what program you’re in. In some programs, there may be a few weeks or a few days of anticipated on-campus work. In others, the instructor may make arrangements so you don’t need to be on campus even when other classmates are. It all depends on what’s required to ensure you can meet course outcomes.  

    Details about on-campus classes for the Fall 2021 semester will be available in the coming weeks and months.

    It may be that you can save money by arranging short-term accommodation as needed rather than moving to Lethbridge for the full semester. 

    Our on-campus Residence has a very limited number of spaces available for stays of a minimum three consecutive nights and maximum 14 consecutive nights. Rates are: 

    • $80 per day ($88.94 with tax) 

    • Weekly rates are available. Contact Residence Life for details. 

    Once you’re aware of the dates you need, you can contact res.life@lethbridgecollege.ca to ask about booking a short stay on campus. 

    As a service to students, Lethbridge College contacted hotels located relatively near campus to ask if student rates are available. The following list is not exhaustive, nor is it intended as an endorsement of any particular hotel. Other establishments may offer discounts also. We encourage students to contact the lodging of their choice, using their direct phone numbers, not their centralized, toll-free booking services, and ask if a student rate is available, when considering their options. 

    • Comfort Inn, 3226 Fairway Plaza Road Street South, Lethbridge, 403-320-8874

    • Holiday Inn Express Lethbridge Southeast, 217 41 Street South, Lethbridge, 403-942-5856 

    • Best Western Plus Service Inn and Suites, 209 41 Street South, Lethbridge, 403-329-6844 

    • Holiday Inn, 2375 Mayor Magrath Drive South, 403-380-5050 

    • Motel 6, 1142 Mayor Magrath Drive South, 403-328-4436 has kitchenettes 

    Am I able to live on campus?

    Yes, residence is an essential service and is continuing to operate. Learn more about Lethbridge College's Residence here.

    When can I apply for a Residence opening for the 2021-22 academic year?

    Applications for 2021-22 opened Nov. 1, 2020. Applications from 2020-21 will not be extended to next fall. Learn more on our website.

    Can I cancel my residence space?

    If you wish to cancel your room, please email res.life@lethbridgecollege.ca

    What measures are in place in residence to ensure health and safety?

    Temporary rules are in place based on social distancing guidelines by Alberta Health Services (AHS). Public spaces are being cleaned more frequently, and social halls are closed. Temporary rooms have been set aside for quarantine purposes. Additional measures for those in residence include:

    • No guests allowed in units. A guest is anyone who doesn’t live there, including parents, partners, neighbours and friends. 
    • Quiet hours are around the clock to accommodate students who are studying online in their units. 
    • Laundry facilities are limited to two students at a time, and students can use a sign-up sheet to reserve a time that works for them. 
    • Common areas such as the recreation centres have closed. 
    • Masks are needed in the hallways and elevator of Kodiak House, not needed inside the student’s own unit. 
    • Move-in was arranged by appointment and staggered over the week following Aug. 31. Each resident could bring only two helpers.  
    • Residence Life services are accessible by appointment, by phone (403-329-7218), email or video chat. 
    • Cleaning of high-touch areas is done daily. 


    Fitness Centre

    Is the Fitness Centre open? *UPDATED May 10

    Update: In accordance with public health measures introduced by the Government of Alberta, the Fitness Centre is currently closed.

    When public health measures allow, the Fitness Centre will re-open for students and employees, but will remain closed to the public.

    When public health restrictions allow a return to phase one re-opening, the Fitness Centre will offer 1-on-1 personal training for free to employees and students for the duration of phase one of provincial restrictions. Training blocks must be made in advance through lcfitness.ca. In order to use the facilities, you must have a valid gym membership, completed an annual waiver form, completed a COVID-19 waiver form and booked a workout time.

    Users will need a valid student or employee Fitness Centre membership.

    • Free student memberships are available through lcfitness.ca.
    • Employee memberships are available through an online form.

    See the next question in the FAQs for more information on using the Fitness Centre.

    What do I need to know before using the Fitness Centre? *UPDATED May 10

    Update: In accordance with public health measures introduced by the Government of Alberta, the Fitness Centre is currently closed.

    When public health restrictions allow a return to phase one re-opening, the Fitness Centre will offer 1-on-1 personal training for free to employees and students for the duration of phase one of provincial restrictions. Training blocks must be made in advance through lcfitness.ca. In order to use the facilities, you must have a valid gym membership, completed an annual waiver form, completed a COVID-19 waiver form and booked a workout time.

    Please review the following information before using the facility.

    The booking process

    • Book a 1-on-1 personal training workout session through lcfitness.ca. Workout blocks can be booked up to 10 minutes prior, however drop-ins are not allowed.
    • Ensure you have a valid gym membership, have filled out the annual waiver and have filled out the COVID-19 waiver form (prior to every workout – valid for 24 hours).
    • Bookings can be made up to three days in advance.
    • The user must clean all equipment they have used or touched.
    • The Fitness Centre will be closed for 30 minutes between each workout block to sanitize the facility.

    Student memberships

    • Student memberships are free for the Winter 2021 semester. Apply for yours at lcfitness.ca.

    Employee memberships

    • Employees must sign up for a free (taxable) membership before they can book a workout block (there will be approximately one day for processing before they can book in). The sign-up form is available online.
    • All employees interested in using the Fitness Centre need to re-sign up for a membership, even if they had one previously.
    • Employees not eligible for a free membership can purchase one through lcfitness.ca.


    • Users are not able to enter through the PE Building entrance. They must use one of the college’s six controlled entry points and scan their student or employee ID card. The Centre Core entrance is the closest to the Fitness Centre.
    • You must scan your student or employee ID card at the Rec Services entrance.
    • You must show up within a 10-minute window at the start of your workout block, otherwise the doors will be closed and locked.
    • You must leave the Fitness Centre by the end of your allotted workout block.


    • Change rooms are open however participants are encouraged to come dressed for their activity if possible
    • Showers and steam rooms are not open
    • Lockers are not available for rent. You may bring your own lock and use a day-use locker.
    • Employee change rooms are not open.
    • Towel service is not available.
    • Small equipment will not be lent out. Users are encouraged to bring their own items (balls, bands, rollers, etc…)

    Masks and physical distancing

    • Masks must be worn at all times, including while working out.
    • Physical distancing must always be maintained.

    Personal training

    • Personal training sessions are free for the duration of phase one of the Province of Alberta's Public Health restrictions. One restrictions move to phase two or beyond, a student package of five sessions is available for $100. Individual sessions are $42 each.

    If you have any other questions, please contact recreationservices@lethbridgecollege.ca



    Since classes are now offered in a flexible format, will tuition be lowered?

    Though we may be delivering our programs in a different way, the cost to do so has not changed. Costs include and cover faculty, administration, equipment, infrastructure and maintenance, as well as ensuring our programming continues to be of the highest quality while reflecting the needs of industry. For these reasons, tuition will remain the same.

    Student fees also still apply. Although access to campus will be restricted to reduce the risk of spreading COVID-19, fee-supported services continue. For example, the Technology Infrastructure fee supports upgrades and maintenance of our many technology systems, which are in higher demand now than ever. However, for the Winter 2021 semester, the Kodiaks Athletics Fee, which supports student-athletes and their coaches, will be waived. For a breakdown of fees, please visit this page.

    Since classes are now offered in a flexible format, do I still have to pay fees?

    Yes, most student fees still apply. Although access to campus will be restricted to reduce the risk of spreading COVID-19, fee-supported services continue. For example, the Technology Infrastructure fee supports upgrades and maintenance of our many technology systems, which are in higher demand now than ever. However, for the Winter 2021 semester, the Kodiaks Athletics Fee, which supports student-athletes and their coaches, will be waived. For a breakdown of fees, please visit this page.

    What about my Lethbridge College Students’ Association fees?

    To help prevent the spread of COVID-19, the Lethbridge College Students’ Association (LCSA) will not hold on-campus events, intramural and in-person fitness activities or operate The Cave student lounge this fall. To reflect this, LCSA has reduced its student fee by 18 per cent for 2020-2021. The remainder of the fee, $4.05 per credit, will support the creation and delivery of social, fitness and advocacy events provided in a virtual format in the fall semester. The LCSA will continue its advocacy work on behalf of students on-campus, locally, provincially and federal. Watch your Lethbridge College email for the LCSA newsletter this fall, or join them on Facebook and Instagram.

    There is no change to the fee for enrolment in the LCSA Health and Dental Plan. An individual plan costs $283 a year for health and dental benefits. Please visit the LCSA Health and Dental Plan for details on enrolment, coverage and how to make claims. The plan now allows international students who are studying in their home countries to make claims for eligible services. This does not include travel benefits.  Details for international students in the plan can be found online.

    How do I find out what tuition or fees I need to pay?

    You can view this information in MyHorizon. Using a computer, not your phone, log in using your college email and password. Look for the Touchnet box in the upper left corner and click on Student Account Summary: Make a payment. There you’ll see your balances and recent account activity and you can make payments. In order to reduce contact, you can’t pay in person this fall, but there’s a wide range of other options for in-Canada and international payments available. See our Accounting Services for Students page for details. If you have questions about payments or your balance, contact payfees@lethbridgecollege.ca.

    Do I need to pay for parking on campus?

    Yes. As a publicly funded institution, Lethbridge College is expected to ensure services like parking are financially self-sustaining, but parking on our campus is available at rates favourable compared to those charged elsewhere in the community. 

    There are many options for paid parking and we recommend students consider how often and how long they’ll need to be on campus to determine the best value for their situation before making a non-refundable purchase. Options include: 

    1. Purchase parking time in a student lot using a cashless option for your safety. The price is $2 for one hour; $4 for four hours; $8 for the day; $20 for one week; or $38.50 for two weeks. You can purchase time in one of three ways: 
    • using the HonkMobile app;  

    • using the tap/QR code signage being installed this summer in the front parking loop, in Lot O near the Physical Education (PE) building or in Lot B, near the Instructional Building (IB); 

    • or using Pay Pedestals also being installed this summer inside College Centre, PE and IB buildings.

    If you forget to use the Pay Pedestals or don't have your phone to use the app or the QR code posted in the parking lots, you can access HonkMobile at this link. Bookmark it on your browser just in case you ever need it. This will default to Lot B, but you can park in any labelled student or staff lot with purchase. 

    1. Monthly, two-month, full-semester or full-year parking permits are available from the Lethbridge College Bookstore. Something to consider as you compare prices: A monthly permit is $77 plus GST, or about $4 a day if you park on campus 20 days in a month. An annual permit is $392 plus GST, which is about $2.60 a day if you’re on campus all 158 school days. 
    2. If you need to be on campus less than 45 minutes, you can park in the Front Loop if there’s space. HonkMobile rates in the loop are $1 for 15 minutes; $1.50 for 30 minutes or $2 for 45 minutes. You can't stay for more than 45 minutes in the loop which is intended for guest parking.

    Are there any scholarships or awards to help new students who've been affected by the pandemic?

    Yes! If you are enrolled full-time, have applied for a student loan and all other benefits including federal pandemic support programs, and you still find yourself in financial need due to unforeseen expenses, you may be eligible for a bursary. Make a one-on-one appointment with Student Awards and Financial Aid to review your situation, discuss potential opportunities and discuss next steps. Reach out by email awards@lethbridgecollege.ca, phone 403-320-3372 or 1-800-572-0103 ext. 3372, or even online chat. If you haven’t applied to the Canada Student Loan program, you should. Even if you don’t need to borrow money, your application will ensure you’re assessed for any grants for which you’re eligible. Grants affiliated with the loan program have been doubled this year.

    In addition, Lethbridge College has launched its Ready to Rise campaign that brings the community together to support its students. With a $1 million goal, the campaign will allow the college the ability to address its students’ most pressing needs, including mental health and wellness resources as well as additional financial support.

    Is there still time to apply for financial aid?

    You can apply for government student loans until 30 days before the end of the academic year. If you don’t need a loan now to start the term, you can apply later if your circumstances change. This year, almost all grants have been doubled in value in recognition of the financial impact of COVID-19. In Alberta, you can find out more at Alberta Student Aid. Students from other provinces should check with their own provincial student aid websites.

    Is there still time to apply for scholarships and bursaries?

    Scholarship applications at Lethbridge College are closed, but you may be eligible for a bursary for financial need due to unforeseen expense. Contact Student Awards and Financial Aid at awards@lethbridgecollege.ca or by phone at 403-320-3372 or 1-800-572-0103 ext. 3372, to review your situation, discuss potential opportunities and discuss next steps.

    To be considered for a bursary you must meet the following criteria:

    • Be enrolled full-time in the study period at Lethbridge College that you are making your request

    • Be in good academic standing (minimum 1.5 GPA)

    • Have applied for all relevant and available benefits (student loans, CERB, CESB, etc)

    • Demonstrate that your current financial need is a direct result of unforeseeable expenses and that financial support is required to continue your studies at Lethbridge College.

    Funding is limited and completion of a bursary application does not a guarantee a student will receive any funds. Before applying for a bursary, it is highly recommended that you make a one-on-one appointment with the Student Awards and Financial Aid Office to review your current financial situation to discuss all potential opportunities and discuss next steps.

    There are other options for students:

    If you are an Alberta high school graduate, the application system for the Alexander Rutherford Scholarship opened in August. It’s based on your average in five courses in Grade 10, 11 and 12. You can only apply and be awarded once.

    The college also maintains links to many external scholarships and awards, each with their own application deadlines. Take a look.

    A good source for information on various funding sources is the college’s Student Awards and Financial Aid.


    Do you have information about the government COVID-19 student funding?

    The COVID-19 Economic Response Plan provides supports to individuals and families experiencing hardship due to the pandemic:

    • Canada Emergency Response Benefit  (CERB) - This program has now ended, however, the Canadian Revenue Agency is continuing to accept and process retroactive applications for period 7 (August 30 to September 26, 2020). You can apply for period 7 through the CRA’s My Account or automated toll-free phone line at 1-800-959-2019 or 1-800-959-2041. The CERB was available for students who made at least $5,000 in the past 12 months who are having trouble finding work offers.
    • Canada Emergency Student Benefit and Support for Students (CESB) closed to applications on September 30, 2020. You can no longer apply for this benefit. If you continue to need income support, go to the COVID-19 benefits page.

    Changes to the Canada Student Loans Program

    Changes were made to the Canada Student Loans Program (CSLP) to allow more students to qualify for support and be eligible for greater amounts.

    The changes include:

    • doubling the Canada Student Grants for all eligible full-time students to up to $6,000 and up to $3,600 for part-time students in 2020-21. The Canada Student Grants for Students with Permanent Disabilities and Students with Dependents would also be doubled.
    • broadening eligibility for student financial assistance by removing the expected student’s and spouse’s contributions in 2020-21.
    • raising the maximum weekly amount that can be provided to a student in 2020-21 from $210 to $350.

    Our Student Awards and Financial Aid team is happy to chat with you about your options.


    Information for Prospective Students

    Can I take a campus tour?

    You can take a look at our campus with our online virtual tour! If you have questions, check out the live chat feature on our website or visit the Future Students page.

    How do I apply to Lethbridge College?

    Check program and seat availability for upcoming semesters here: https://lethbridgecollege.ca/departments/admissions/how-to-apply/program-application-status

    Apply now


    Who can I talk to if I want to get more information about programs and options?

    Begin with a look at our Future Students page, which is filled with resources to get you started.

    Once you have more questions, our team is here and ready to chat with you online, answer your questions and help you get ready to start your educational journey! Our live chat is available Monday to Friday (except holidays) from 10 a.m. to 2 p.m. MST.


    Information for International Students

    NOTE: The content below is not a substitute for legal health and immigration advice. It is for information purposes only and can change without notice. Please keep checking the web links provided below for up-to-date information on special measures put in place by Alberta Health Care / COVID-19 specific and Immigration, Refugee and Citizenship Canada (IRCC) web page on IRCC Coronavirus Special Measures. For information on travel measures for Canada, visit the Travel section of the Government of Canada website.

    If you have any questions or concerns, please contact: international@lethbridgecollege.ca.


    International students affected by the suspension of flights from India and Pakistan

    On April 22, 2021, the Government of Canada announced the suspension of inbound flights from India and Pakistan. For more information on this new travel restriction, please click here: https://www.canada.ca/en/transport-canada/news/2021/04/government-of-canada-suspends-flights-from-india-and-pakistan.html

    If you are an international student starting their program in Spring 2021 from India or Pakistan and were planning to travel to Canada, please contact International Services as soon as possible for more information and support at international@lethbridgecollege.ca.

    MOST ASKED: Will I be able to travel to Canada for my studies?

    International students with a valid study permit or final study permit approval enrolled in a DLI with an approved COVID-19 readiness plan are eligible to travel to Canada.

    Lethbridge College’s COVID-19 readiness plan has received approval and is one of the DLIs that is listed on the IRCC website (click here). 

    If you have not done so already, make sure that you have a submitted a study permit application for the Spring 2021 semester. For more information visit the IRCC website.

    To support students who are planning to travel to Canada, Lethbridge College will issue letters of support. Contact international@lethbridgecollege.ca for more information.

    As part of the college's readiness plan, you will be REQUIRED to submit a 14-day quarantine plan to the college in order to receive your letter. You will also be required to have regular check-ins with International Student staff during your quarantine. We are required to report any students who do not attend or respond to requests for check-ins to government agencies for non-compliance.

    You will be required to do the following before you board your flight to Canada:

    • submit a negative COVID-19 molecular test result taken within 72 hours before your scheduled flight.
    • download the ArriveCAN app at least 48 hours before departing to Canada and submit required information before boarding your flight.

    You will also be required to take another COVID-19 test when you first arrive in Canada and stay in a government-approved hotel for three nights to await your results. Once you receive a negative result, you will be able to go directly to your place of quarantine to finish your 14-day quarantine.

    You will also be required to take a third COVID-19 test near the end of your quarantine. If this test result is negative, you will be able to finish your quarantine.

    For more information on the new travel measures, including testing and quarantine, visit the Government of Canada website for more information.  

    In order to assist you with your preparations, download the COVID-19 Travel Guide, which contains important information and resources for travel and quarantine plans. 

    Information for preparation for the Spring 2021 semester

    Lethbridge College will send a series of communication to help you prepare for your arrival, so please continue to check your Lethbridge College email.

    If you have any issues with your Lethbridge College email/login information, visit the ITS webpage or email helpdesk@lethbridgecollege.ca for assistance.

    For any questions or concerns, contact us at international@lethbridgecollege.ca.

    MOST ASKED: I will start my program in the Fall. Can I travel to Canada to start my studies?

    If you are wanting to travel to Canada for the Fall 2021 semester, we ask that you wait until closer to the start of the semester, such as mid-July or August. It is recommended that students travel no earlier than 3 months before their program start date as travel before 3 months would be considered non-essential. 

    We will be sending you information and updates regarding travel and preparations for the Fall semester, Please continue to check your Lethbridge College email.


    New International Students

    How do I get information about study permits?

    If you have received a Letter of Acceptance from Lethbridge College, we strongly recommend that you apply for a study permit as soon as possible. Before applying for a study permit, you will need a Letter of Acceptance from a Designated Learning Institution (DLI) such as Lethbridge College (DLI #: O19391056756 – begins with the letter “O”, not zero). Your study permit application must be submitted electronically.

    There is no guarantee that the study permit application will be approved.

    Click here for more information about study permits

    IRCC has recently updated the eligibility requirements for the Post-Graduation Work Permit (PGWP) program for students who have been affected by the COVID-19 pandemic. International students are still eligible for the PGWP program if they complete their entire program online from abroad. 

    Studies or courses that are completed online and outside of Canada between May 2020 until Dec.31, 2021 will count towards the length of a PGWP. Any time spent outside Canada AFTER Dec. 31, 2021 will NOT count.

    Students will still need to meet all other PGWP eligibility requirements.

    For more information regarding this PGWP update, click here. For eligibility requirements and information regarding the PGWP program, click here.

    You can also contact our International advisor at advisor@lethbridgecollege.ca.

    Can I apply for the Spring or Fall 2021 semesters?

    Applications have closed for the Spring 2021 semester.

    Applications for the Fall 2021 semester are currently being accepted. The deadline for international applications for Fall 2021 is June 1, 2021.

    Check program and seat availability for future semesters here

    I was approved for a Study Permit and have a Port of Entry Letter/Letter of Introduction which will/have expired because of COVID-19 travel restrictions. What can I do?

    You must contact the IRCC using their web form.

    Are there any changes to the English Language Proficiency Requirements?

    In response to the COVID-19 pandemic, Lethbridge College will begin to temporarily accept the IELTS Indicator, the TOEFL Special Home Edition and the Duolingo English Test as alternative ways for international students to meet English language proficiency requirements. The new requirement are as follows:

    • IELTS Indicator – minimum scores are the same as the IELTS Academic score of 6.0 with no band below 6.0
    • TOEFL Special Home Edition – minimum scores are the same as the TOEFL iBT score of 80
    • Duolingo English Test – minimum score of 105 taken within the last two (2) years

    Click here for more information on English proficiency requirements.


    Current International Students

    How is my program being delivered for the Spring and Fall 2021 semesters?

    For the Spring 2021 semester, courses will be delivered through distance learning.

    A decision regarding the delivery of courses for the Fall 2021 semester will be announced shortly. Please continue to check your Lethbridge College email for this and other important updates as well as this FAQ page.

    What happens if I cannot finish my practicum or other Work-integrated Learning placement? Do I need to apply for an updated co-op work permit if the dates change?

    An extension to a co-op work permit is only required if the co-op work permit expires before the scheduled co-op semester finishes.

    Refer to Immigration, Refugee and Citizenship Canada (IRCC) for information on work as a co-op student or intern.

    Will my online coursework affect eligibility for the Post-Graduation Work Permit (PGWP) program?

    IRCC has recently updated the eligibility requirements for the Post-Graduation Work Permit (PGWP) program for students who have been affected by the COVID-19 pandemic. International students are still eligible for the PGWP program if they complete their entire program online from abroad. 

    Studies or courses that are completed online and outside of Canada between May 2020 until December 31, 2021 will count towards the length of a PGWP. Any time spent outside Canada AFTER December 31, 2021 will NOT count.

    Students will still need to meet all other PGWP eligibility requirements.

    For more information regarding this PGWP update, click here. For eligibility requirements and information regarding the PGWP program, click here

    You can also contact our International advisor at advisor@lethbridgecollege.ca.

    My Study Permit will expire in the next few weeks, and I may not be able to retrieve all the required documents (transcript, etc.) for my application. What do I do?

    It is recommended that you apply for an extension of your study permit 2-3 months BEFORE your expiry date. If your study permit will expire within the next couple of months, please submit your application for extension as soon as possible.

    If you are an international student currently in Canada, you can apply online to extend your study permit. Once you have applied to extend your status, you will be allowed to remain in Canada until a decision is made on the new application, even if your initial status expires while you are waiting for that decision. Do not travel to a port of entry (POE) to apply directly to a border services officer since immigration services are not considered essential travel and you will not receive these services.

    Will I need a letter from Lethbridge College regarding my online studies for the remainder of this semester?

    Immigration, Refugees and Citizenship Canada (IRCC) has advised that courses of study being delivered online on an exceptional basis due to COVID-19 will not affect PGWP eligibility.

    If a student is unable to complete full-time studies due to reasons related to COVID-19, a letter of explanation will be provided by the Registrar’s Office when applying for a study permit extension.

    When you request documents from the Registrar’s Office for extending your study permit or applying for your PGWP, they will provide a letter of explanation regarding part-time study and COVID-19. If you were required to study part-time, then you will require the letter and you can include it in your application; if you were not required to study part-time as a result of COVID-19 you can simply dispose of the letter and not include it with your application.

    The Registrar’s Office is available to assist students by email at registration@lethbridgecollege.ca and will provide the necessary documents electronically to accompany an application.

    Can I receive a letter from the College so I can invite my family from overseas to attend Convocation?

    Due to the current travel measures, family members of international students who are travelling to attend Convocation would NOT meet the travel exemptions set by the government of Canada to enter Canada. Therefore, Lethbridge College will NOT be able to provide International Invitation letters for family members at this time. For more information on the current travel restrictions and exemptions, please visit the Government of Canada’s website.

    Friends and family will only be able to view convocation virtually due to the current restrictions surrounding the COVID-19 pandemic.

    Visit the Convocation page for more information as it becomes available.

    How can I apply for an Alberta Health Care Number (AHCN)?

    You will need an AHCN if you need to visit a health care provider such as a doctor or a dentist. If you do not have an AHCN, refer to the AHCN website for information on health care coverage for international students and how to apply for the Alberta Health Care Insurance Plan (AHCIP).



    Will Kodiaks Athletics take place in 2021-22?

    The Kodiaks have joined the rest of the Alberta Colleges Athletic Conference (ACAC) in preparing plans for a 2021-22 athletic season.

    Further information will be circulated as planning for the 2021-22 ACAC season evolves.

    Protecting the health, safety and well-being of both the campus community, as well as the population at large remains paramount. No post-secondary sport programming will commence without approval from Alberta Health Services and Saskatchewan Health Authority, and the ACAC is committed to strict adherence to all government and campus protocols, policies and practices that reduce the transmission of COVID-19.

    Will student-athletes still receive their athletic scholarships for 2020-21?

    We will honour all athletic scholarships our student-athletes are eligible for. As a teaching and learning institution, support of student-athletes is part of our core business. With training, our Kodiaks are still balancing all the requirements asked of our student-athletes and it’s important we support them.

    How will a cancelled ACAC season affect the eligibility of student-athletes?

    Due to the uncertainties and adjustments surrounding the upcoming season, the Canadian Collegiate Athletic Association (CCAA) has announced student-athletes participating in any ACAC-sponsored sport in 2020-21 will not be charged with a year of eligibility.

    What precautions are in place to ensure the safety of Kodiaks student-athletes?

    The following precautions will be in place:

    • A plan has been created for additional sanitization of commonly touched surfaces, including use of an electrostatic sprayer.
    • Cardio equipment will move to gym A to allow a minimum of three metres of distance. This will allow for additional spacing of strength training equipment in the fitness centre.
    • Practice times and workouts will be structured to ensure there will be no gathering of student-athletes.


    Be Fit for Life

    Is the college offering Be Fit for Life Classes?

    The Be Fit for Life centre is currently offering low-intensity yoga options for spring 2021. See the Be Fit for Life webpage for more information.

    Be Fit for Life is evaluating on-going public health restrictions to determine future offerings. Be sure to check the website often for the latest updates. Classes that can resume in the spring will follow all guidelines and will be on-campus either in a class or outdoor format.

    Refunds have now been processed for all courses that were unable to finish or never started.



    Do you have a question you don’t see here? Submit it to FAQ@lethbridgecollege.ca.