Notifying the community of safety or security risks
In case of an emergency, call 911 immediately. Then call Security at 403-320-3206.
LC Alert is a campus safety app and mass notification system that will provide you reliable information quickly about any urgent matter on campus.
We will use the app and mass notification system in the event of fire, power outage, closure of campus due to weather, evacuation or security matter. We will also give you the opportunity to practice using LC Alert by incorporating it into our drills and tests.
To learn more about all the ways we’ll share information about an urgent situation, please see the How we notify you page
The LC Alert app offers several safety features beyond notifying you via push notification of critical incidents.
- Work Alone lets you set how long you expect to be working alone and reminds you to check in at regular intervals. Check-in is a simple one click process on your phone. If you fail to check in on the schedule you set, your emergency contact is notified and can try to reach you, can check your location or can call for help. Work Alone also has a panic button should you need it.
- Friend Walk lets you pick a contact who can watch in real time as you walk to your destination. This includes a panic button to immediately contact that friend if you need it. If you’re on campus, remember our Campus Security (403-320-3206)-can provide a Safewalk. Call Security to be accompanied as you walk to your destination on campus. You can call directly from the LC Alert app.
- Keep your family and friends apprised of situations on campus that might affect you. Have your loved ones download the LC Alert app to receive the same notifications you do.
- A Safety Toolbox lets you set up quick notification of your GPS location and an “I’m OK” email to family or friends.
- Maps to muster points and defibrillator locations on campus.
- Procedures to follow in a variety of incidents.
- Quick links to campus and community resources related to your safety.
Keep your app active
Both Android and iPhone devices have automated systems that may prevent apps like LC Alert from sending you notifications if they haven't been used for a while.
After a few months, your app may be moved to the cloud (iPhone) or be put to sleep (Android) which will interfere with your notifications in the event of a crisis.
To prevent missing out on critical information, please:
- Open the LC Alert app on your device
- Click on the About/Preferences tab
- Open your Notification Settings and ensure your notifications are enabled
Doing this will take less than a minute and could make a world of difference in the event of an urgent situation on campus.
Freedom of Information and Protection of Privacy
The personal information you provide to Lethbridge College while using the LC Alert app is collected under the authority of the Alberta Freedom of Information and Protection of Privacy (FOIP) Act, section 33(c) and is protected by Part 2 of that Act. Your information will be used for the purpose of managing the LC Alert app, providing emergency alerts (e.g. sending push notifications to users) and to process, respond and investigate incident reported through the app, or for uses consistent with these purposes. Where necessary to fulfill the purpose of collection, or where allowed or required by law, the College may disclose information collected through the LC Alert app to external agencies. Reports made through this system will be confidential however, some information provided, including the name of the person submitting the report, may be provided to the individual who is the subject of the report. Submission of a false or frivolous report may result in disciplinary action.
Questions about the collection, use, disclosure or protection of the personal information collected on the form should be directed to the College’s FOIP Coordinator by phoning 403-320-3200 ext. 3361, emailing email@example.com or writing to 3000 College Drive South Lethbridge, Alberta T1K 1L6 c/o Lethbridge College FOIP Coordinator.