There are some important first steps that you should take upon arriving at Lethbridge College. We’ve outlined them below. Be sure to check important dates and deadlines and maintain your documents.

As soon as you arrive…

  1. Check into residence if you will be living on campus.
  2. Visit the Lethbridge College Buchanan Library to have your photo taken and receive your student ID.
  3. Confirm that you have adequate medical coverage:
  4. Purchase or pick up necessary textbooks and supplies from the Lethbridge College Bookstore.
  5. Log in to your Lethbridge College email and Canvas accounts.

During your first week…

  1. Attend New Student Orientation.
    Attendance is required, register here.
  2. Familiarize yourself with the campus and locate your classrooms.
  3. Purchase a bus pass from the Lethbridge College Students’ Association (CE1350) or purchase a parking pass from the bookstore (PA1110).
  4. Rent a locker from the students’ association (CE1350).
  5. Visit Academic Advising for assistance and information if you need to add or drop a course.
  6. Open a Canadian bank account.

During your second week…

  1. Pay your fees by the add/drop deadline.
  2. Familiarize yourself with on campus services, such as the Learning Café.

During your first month…

  1. Attend the international student welcome and social activities.
  2. Visit the Fitness Centre in the PE Building.
  3. View the Student Experience calendar and choose an upcoming event to attend.

Social events and activities

Lethbridge College organizes a number of affordable events that create opportunities for new experiences and friendships to be made.

Previous events have included:

  • trip to Waterton-Glacier International Peace Park
  • corn maze excursion
  • salsa dancing night
  • trip to Writing-on-Stone Provincial Park
  • Movie Mill night

Please see the Student Experience Calendar for monthly events.

Maintain your documents

Check to ensure that your primary immigration documents are accurate and valid. This includes your:

  • passport
  • study permit
  • temporary resident visa (TRV)

Keep track of the expiration dates of all of your documents so you can plan to renew them and remain in Canada without interruption. In most cases, your Canadian immigration documents will not be issued past the expiry date of your passport.

If you extend your study permit (or transition from student status to worker status by applying for a post-graduation work permit), you will need to extend all other documents after you receive your new permit.

When should I extend my immigration documents?

  • Passport: At least six months before expiration.
  • Study permit: Three to four months before expiration.
  • Temporary resident visa (TRV): Before or after expiration (depending on your travel plans).
  • Social Insurance Number (SIN): Before expiration date, typically after you extend your study permit or receive a post-graduate work permit.

Need to amend your immigration documents?

If your study permit, work permit or temporary resident visa (TRV) include any mistakes (e.g. your name or date of birth are incorrect), you must contact IRCC and request to amend your documents. You will mail your documents to the address in Ottawa indicated in the Instruction Guide. Plan to remain in Canada until your documents have been corrected. Amendments apply only to the mistakes that are made by IRCC when your documents were issued.

If you are not currently in Canada, amend your documents before you travel to Canada to avoid issues or delays at the Canadian border.

What to do if your immigration documents get lost or stolen?

If your immigration documents are lost or stolen, you must request a replacement set of documents from IRCC. You will be required to submit your application for replacements along with a $30 (CAN) processing fee, and expect your documents to arrive by mail in approximately two weeks.

You may continue studying and/or working while your documents are being replaced. However, you should not leave Canada until you receive your replacement study or work permit. If your passport has been lost or stolen, you must replace it. If you had a temporary resident visa (TRV) in the lost or stolen passport, make sure you apply for a new TRV if it is necessary within your country of citizenship.

It is recommended that you keep photocopies of all your important documents (including passport, immigration documents and health insurance cards) in a safe place in case your originals are lost or stolen.