Note: The information provided below is for reference use only. It is the responsibility of the student to remain informed of current requirements and updates regarding study permit and other immigration-related information by checking IRCC's website on a regular basis.

Students are responsible for ensuring that they are meeting their study permit conditions.

Study permit/immigration support at Lethbridge College

Only Lethbridge College staff who have a Regulated International Student Immigration Advisor (RISIA) or Regulated Canadian Immigration Consultant (RCIC) designation can provide study permit and immigration advice and support to international students on campus.

RISIAs and RCICs at Lethbridge College can only provide advice for the following areas: 

  • Study permits
  • Temporary resident visas (TRV, eTA)
  • How study permits are related Ito other currently available Canadian immigration programs

RISIAs and RCICs at Lethbridge College cannot: 

  • Fill out any immigration forms for any students
  • Provide representation on behalf of student for immigration
  • Make decisions for a student

If you require representation or need forms filled out for you, the RISIA or RCIC at Lethbridge College can refer you resources to find an Authorized Representative.

Recent IRCC Updates (2024)

For information on updates from IRCC and how they affect international students at Lethbridge College, visit the International Services homepage here.

Students coming from another Designated Learning Institution – Updating IRCC

If you are a student who was at a different Designated Learning Institution (DLI) in Canada before starting at Lethbridge College (that is, a transfer student), you will need to let IRCC know that you have changed Designated Learning Institutions (DLIs).

For step-by-step instructions, click here.

You will need the following information:

  • Your IRCC secure account login information
  • Your study permit number
  • Lethbridge College’s DLI number - O19391056756 (this begins with the letter “O," not the number zero)
  • your Lethbridge College student number (s-number)
  • your program start date (which can be found on your LOA)
  • your previous DLI number (to search for a DLI number, check here)
Travel visa – TRV/eTA

If you need to travel outside Canada during your studies, you need to check the validity/expiry date of your temporary resident visa (visa stamp in your passport).

Remember that your study permit is NOT a travel visa. This is a separate document and the visa that is required to enter Canada.

If you are from a visa-exempt country (eTA):

Make sure your eTA is valid for the date that you will re-enter Canada. If not, you must apply for a new eTA.

If you are from a visa-required country (TRV):

Check to see if your TRV is a single-entry or multiple entry and it is valid.

If your TRV is single-entry, you will need to apply for a new TRV BEFORE you travel outside Canada.

If your TRV is multiple entry, you will need to check the expiry date of your TRV to make sure it is valid for the date that you will re-enter Canada.

We strongly recommend that you do not book any travel (such as flights or bus tickets) until you have received approval for a new TRV or eTA.

Updating information on study permit or co-op work permit

If you need to update information on your study permit or co-op work permit (or both) (for example, if you got married and changed your name or there is an error of your personal information on your immigration document(s), you will need to submit a request to IRCC to amend the document(s).

The application form and instructions on how to do so can be found here.

You will need to submit your original study permit/co-op work permit as well as proof that the name in your passport/government-issued documents do not match your study permit.

This is a paper application, so you will need to print and fill out the form and send it through mail. The address that you will need to send it to is listed in the link above.

We strongly recommend that you take a photocopy of your study permit for your records before you mail it so you will have a record of it.

Co-op work permit – how to apply

You can apply for your co-op work permit at the same time that you apply for your initial study permit.

However, if you did not apply for a co-op work permit or you changed to a program that has a required co-op placement, you will need to apply for a co-op work permit online through your IRCC account.

You cannot start your practicum until you have received a valid co-op work permit. You cannot use your condition to work on- or off-campus on your study permit for your co-op placement.

You can find a detailed instructions guide on how to apply for your co-op work permit here. This guide also includes information on how to answer the questions on the application.

You will need the following documents for your application:

  • Your LOA
  • your co-op work permit letter (the last page of your LOA package)
  • a photocopy of your passport (pages that show your passport number, issue and expiry date, name and date of birth and the stamp by IRCC for entry into Canada)
  • photocopy of your study permit

NOTE: there is no fee to apply for the co-op work permit.

Your co-op work permit does not allow you to work on- or off-campus. You must have the condition to do so on your study permit (see section “Working on-campus/off-campus”).

The work hours during your co-op/practicum DO NOT count towards hours you are allowed to work off-campus during the school year.

Working on-campus/off-campus

To be able to work as an international student, your study permit MUST have the condition that allows you to accept employment on or off-campus.

NEW STUDENTS (new study permit holders): You CANNOT start to work until you start your program.

Students must have a Social Insurance Number (SIN) to be able to work in Canada. For more information on how to apply or renew your SIN, click here.

Working on campus

On-campus employers can be any employer that is physically located on the Lethbridge College main campus.

You do not have any work hour restrictions for your on-campus job. These work hours can be in addition to your off-campus work hours.

Working off campus

During regular semesters (for Lethbridge College: Fall and Winter semesters), international students who are eligible can work up to 20 hours per week.

During scheduled breaks, international students who are eligible can work full-time. You must be a full-time student before and after the scheduled breaks to work full-time.

Scheduled breaks for Lethbridge College can be found in the Academic Schedule in the current Academic Calendar.

Student status – full-time/part-time

To eligible to work on or off campus and to be eligible for the Post-Graduation Work Permit (PGWP), international students must be in full-time studies for all required semesters of their program.

To be considered a full-time student at Lethbridge College, students must be enrolled in at least nine credits for both the Fall and Winter semester. Students starting their programs in the Spring-Short semester, must be enrolled in at least 4.5 credits to be considered full-time.

Students in their final semester who need to enroll in classes that are less than nine credits to complete their program may do so in their final semester. Students must pass all classes required to graduate in their final semester to remain eligible for their PGWP.

If you started your program in the Fall:

 SemesterRequired credits
Year 1Fall (required)At least nine credits
Winter (required)At least nine credits 
Spring (optional)Not required to take classes 
Year 2Fall (required)At least nine credits
Winter (required)At least nine credits 
Spring (optional)Not required to take classes 

If you started you program in the Winter:

 SemesterRequired credits
Year 1Winter (required)At least nine credits
Spring (optional)Not required to take classes 
Fall (required)At least nine credits 
Year 2Winter (required)At least nine credits
Spring (optional)Not required to take classes 
Fall (required)At least nine credits 

If you started your program in the Spring:

 SemesterRequired credits
Year 1

Spring – Short


At least 4.5 credits
Fall (required)At least nine credits 
Winter (required)At least nine credits 
Year 2Spring (optional)Not required to take classes
Fall (required)At least nine credits 
Winter (required)At least nine credits 

*Spring-Short (S2) semester is from May to June.

Study permit extension

For current students in Canada, it is recommended that you apply for a study permit extension AT LEAST three months BEFORE, and NO LATER THAN 30 days, before your study permit expires.

You are responsible for knowing the expiry dates for:

  • Study permit
  • Passport
  • Other legal documents (i.e., TRV, eTA)

Family members will also need to check their documents’ expiry dates as their documents may also need an extension.

If your Study Permit is expiring because your passport is expiring, you will need to renew your passport FIRST (may take one to six months).

How to apply

To be able to submit a study permit extension, you must be physically in Canada.

You can apply for your study permit extension through your IRCC secure account. You will need to fill out the “Application to Change Conditions, Extend my stay or Remain in Canada as a Student (IMM 5709).” 

There is a very detailed instructions guide on how to apply for your extension on the IRCC website here.

If you will need to extend your co-op work permit, you can apply for your extension at the same time as your study permit extension. You will need your original co-op letter (last page of your LOA package) for your application.

Required documents from Lethbridge College:

You will need to request the following documents through Self-Service for your study permit extension:

  • Confirmation of Enrolment
  • Transcripts (proof of academic standing)

You will also need your Letter of Acceptance (LOA) for your current program from Lethbridge College.

Study permit extension applications DO NOT require a Provincial Attestation Letter (PAL).

Proof of funds available/means of support:

As part of your study permit extension application, you must prove that you have enough money in Canadian funds to support your studies and living expenses for the time you are studying in Canada.

Jan. 1, 2024 UPDATE: IRCC has updated the financial requirements for new study permit study permit applications. This new amount also affects study permit extensions. The cost-of-living financial requirement for 2024 is $20,635 CAD. If you are applying to extend your study permit for one year, this new amount is the required amount that you must show proof of for your study permit extension application.

Distance/online learning

Lethbridge College has returned to on-campus delivery. It is expected that international students at Lethbridge College are IN Lethbridge and enrolled in on-campus courses.

International students must complete at least 50 per cent of their program on-campus.

Bringing family members (spouse/partner, children)

Family members – definition

For IRCC applications, such as a study permit application, a family member is defined as an applicant’s spouse or common-law partner, dependent children and their dependent children[LK1] [CK2] [CK3] [LK4] [CK5] (i.e., a grandchild of the applicant who is under the age of 22).

Parents and siblings of the applicant are not considered family members for applications.

This is in the glossary for IRCC which can be found here.

Spouse or common-law partner

Study permit

If both you and your spouse want to study in Canada at the same time, you can apply for a study permit together. Instructions on how to apply for a study permit can be found here.

Note: Both you and your spouse will each require an attestation letter and a letter of acceptance (LOA) for your study permit applications.

Dependent children and their dependent children

Study permit

If you are bringing your children with you to Canada, your children may need a study permit if they are going to attend school while they are here. You can apply for your children’s study permits at the same time as your study permit application.

Information about children’s study permits can be found here.

Post-Graduation Work Permit (PGWP)


International students who have successfully completed a program of study that leads to a credential (i.e., a certificate, diploma or degree) at a Designated Learning Institution (DLI) are eligible for a Post-Graduation Work Permit (PGWP).

Students must also meet the following requirements:

  • Studied continuously full-time for their entire program
    • Final semester can be part-time – student must successfully complete all courses in final semester
    • If you have taken an approved break from studies, you must provide authorization from the college and supporting documents for your leave of studies
  • Your study permit has the authorization to work on- or off-campus
  • You have applied for your PGWP within 180 days of program completion.
    • It is recommended that you apply within 90 days of program completion

For more details on PGWP eligibility requirements, click here.

PGWP length

The decision for the length of a PGWP is made by the IRCC officer reviewing your application.

Generally, in accordance with IRCC guidelines, an international student who has graduated from two-year diploma program may be eligible for up to a three-year PGWP. However, the length of a PGWP is up to the discretion of IRCC and may include other factors. For more information on how PGWP length is determined, click here.

Program completion/graduation

Program completion is one of the following, WHICHEVER COMES FIRST:

  • The date ALL of your final grades are posted on Self-Service (including your practicum evaluation) OR
  • You receive written notification from Lethbridge College that states that you have successfully completed your program.

Your program completion date is NOT:

  • The last day of classes
  • Date of Convocation or graduation ceremony (students are NOT required to attend Convocation)

You MUST STOP working once you have completed your program. You can only resume working in Canada once you have submitted your PGWP application AND you have the condition to work on- and off-campus on your current study permit. You also must have submitted your PGWP application while your current study permit is valid.

Program completion and your study permit expiry date

When you have completed your program, your study permit expires – WHICHEVER COMES FIRST:

  • Either 90 days after you have received official written notification of program completion
  • Or on the expiry date on your study permit

How and when to apply

You can apply for the PGWP online through your secure IRCC account.

Students have 180 days from program completion to apply for your PGWP. It is recommended that you apply for your PGWP within 90 days of program completion.

Applying in Canada within 90 days of program completion

If you apply for your PGWP within 90 days of your program completion, your study permit will still be valid, and you will be able to resume working full-time once you have submitted your PGWP application.

Applying in Canada 91 to 180 days after program completion

If you apply for your PGWP from 91 to 180 days of program completion, your study permit will no longer be valid and will need to change your status to VISITOR.

You must apply for the following:

  • Restoration of Status ($350 application fee)
  • Study permit extension ($150 application fee)
  • PGWP application ($255 application fee)

You will NOT be able to work in Canada until your ALL three applications have been approved.

Applying outside Canada within 180 days after program completion

If you apply for your PGWP outside of Canada, you have 180 days after program completion to submit your application. You can return to Canada to work ONLY after your PGWP application is approved.

If you are from a visa-required country, a new TRV will be issued along with your PGWP approval so that you are able to re-enter Canada.

Documents from Lethbridge College

Before requesting documents, update your personal information in Self-Service, especially:

  • Personal email address
  • Mailing address – update to the address you want your parchment (certificate, diploma, degree) to be sent to if you will not attend Convocation

Confirmation of Graduation letter

You can request your Confirmation of Graduation letter in the final month of your program by:

  1. Download the Confirmation of Graduation form
  2. Complete the form and send to [email protected].

The letter will be issued to your Lethbridge College email address AFTER the graduation process has been completed.

Official transcripts

You can only request your official transcripts AFTER you have received your Confirmation of Graduation.

Once you have received your Confirmation of Graduation, you can request your official transcripts through Self-Service.

  • You will need to share the document with yourself (put your personal email address for the Recipient Email)

Once you have submitted your request, you will receive an email with a link to download your official transcripts through MyCreds. You will need to pay for the transcript before you will be able to download your document.

Check that there is a Graduation notation at the end of your transcript BEFORE uploading it to your PGWP application. If the graduation notation is not there, email [email protected] with a copy of your official transcripts AND your proof of Confirmation of Graduation. 


1. How can I check my study permit application status?

There are two ways to check the status of your application to IRCC:

  • Log into your IRCC account and check your application status – click “check status and messages” under the “View my submitted applications or profiles”
  • You can contact IRCC through their webform (click here)
2. What documents do I need to get my study permit when I first enter Canada?

You will need to present the following documents to border services officials when you arrive in Canada in order to receive your study permit:

  • A valid travel document (i.e. passport)
  • Your port of entry letter of introduction – was sent with approval of your study permit
  • A copy of your LOA from Lethbridge College
  • Any other documents that your visa office has told you to bring
  • A valid eTA or TRV
  • Valid immigration medical exam results (if you were required to take one)
  • Proof of financial support that was a part of your study permit application

You can also find more details of this list here.

3. Can I get a letter for my employer to confirm that I can work from Lethbridge College?

Lethbridge College does not issue letters for a student’s ability to work on or off campus. You can refer your employer about your ability to work to the IRCC website here.

4. Does Lethbridge have a public-private partnership (PPP) and will it affect my eligibility get a PGWP?

Lethbridge College does NOT have curriculum licensing arrangements with private colleges.

International students who will be studying at Lethbridge College will NOT be affected by this update. International students who are studying in an academic program that leads to a credential such as a certificate, diploma or degree will be eligible for the PGWP program as long as they meet all other eligibility requirements.

5. What happens if I need to take short leave of studies but will return in the same semester?

 (For example, if you need to travel to your home country for two weeks for a family emergency)

As a Lethbridge College student, it is your responsibility to attend classes and keep up with your coursework.

If you need to miss a class for any reason, it is your responsibility to maintain your classwork and contact your instructors.

Extensions and rescheduling of assignments and exams are NOT guaranteed and are made at your instructor’s discretion.

It is NOT ACCEPTABLE to miss classes, request extensions or change of dates for deadlines and/or exams because of work.