If you have a valid study permit and you are a full-time international student (registered in courses that total nine or more credits), you may be able to work on- or off-campus starting on the first day of the semester. Check your study permit to see if you have the conditions to work off-campus.

You are required to have a Social Insurance Number (SIN) if you plan to work while you are in Canada.

For job postings related to both on-campus and off-campus opportunities, visit Career Development. Become the candidate of choice for your dream job. We can help with resume building, interview preparation and professional development.


What is a Social Insurance Number (SIN)?

A Social Insurance Number (SIN) is a nine-digit number that is required if you wish to work in Canada and to have access to government programs and benefits. You should apply for a SIN if you plan to work in Canada.

How can I get a SIN?

You can apply for a SIN online in person at a Service Canada Centre. Please visit Employment and Social Development Canada (ESDC) for more information on what you need before you apply.

How do I keep my SIN valid?

Make sure you keep your SIN valid by renewing your SIN every time that you extend your temporary residency in Canada (i.e. when you extend your study permit or get a post-graduation work permit). For more information on how to extend or amend your SIN, check Employment and Social Development Canada.

Work (on-campus and off-campus)


On-campus employment is defined as employment within the boundaries of the campus or in facilities owned, leased, or rented by Lethbridge College. For example, your employer may be the college, a student organization, or a private contractor operating within the boundaries of the campus.

IRCC does not limit the number of hours students are permitted to work on campus. However, some Lethbridge College employers may restrict the hours students can work.


Under current IRCC regulations, eligible international students are permitted to work part-time while pursuing their studies at Lethbridge College.

Students are no longer required to maintain a separate study permit in order to work off-campus while they study. You are eligible to work off-campus if you are a full-time student and your study permit says, in the user remarks or conditions sections, that you can work off-campus.  

There are certain conditions that must be observed in order to work off-campus. Post-secondary students are permitted to work a maximum of 20 hours per week during the regular academic year (September through April) and are permitted to work full-time during regularly scheduled breaks (summer, winter and midterm).

For more information about working off-campus, please visit IRCC or contact one of our international advisors.

Post-Graduation Work Permit (PGWP)

What is a PGWP?

A PGWP is a document granted by IRCC that gives you permission to remain in Canada and work full-time for up to three years after you graduate from a Canadian post-secondary institution (full eligibility details).

When do I need a PGWP?

From the time that your final marks are available or you receive notice of completion of your studies, you have 90 days in which to apply for your PGWP. The date of your graduation ceremony does not affect this application period. You do not need a job offer to apply for the PGWP.

Why would I apply for a PGWP?

The PGWP program is an excellent way to gain valuable Canadian work experience or to prepare to apply for permanent residence after you have completed your program of study and stay in Canada.

Please visit IRCC for more information on the PGWP program.


Volunteering can be a great way to meet new people, experience Canadian culture, and practice your English. Consider giving the gift of your time to a local organization. You can find a list of volunteer opportunities at Volunteer Lethbridge.