Whether your interest in the pipe trades profession flows from your methodical nature or your desire to work with your hands, the Plumber Apprenticeship program will train you for an essential trade. You'll learn the ins and outs of the pipe trades and discover how to keep water, waste, gas, and more flowing to or from homes and businesses.

Over four years, you’ll spend 80 per cent of your apprenticeship learning on the job while working side by side with skilled tradespeople. For the remaining 20 per cent, you’ll be in our state-of-the-art trades and technologies facilities expanding your knowledge and using industry-standard equipment to develop new skills.

A career in an essential trade is waiting – apply to the Plumber and Gasfitter Apprenticeship today!
Apply Now Grab and Go Information

Career Opportunities

You’ll have all the skills you need when you finish your apprenticeship to find employment through:

  • Commercial and Residential Construction Companies
  • Plumbing Repair Shops
  • Renovation Companies
  • Self-employment

Visit ALIS website for more career information.


the amount of time you’ll spend in the program learning on the job with skilled plumbers


the amount of time you’ll spend learning in the classroom and in plumbing labs on campus


the average annual salary of a gasfitter working in Alberta


Credential / Accreditation

Certified 'Journeyman' Papers


4 years

Dates and Deadlines

Visit the Program Application Status page for more details.

Academic Centre

Centre for Trades


This program is not available for International Students.

Academic requirements
  • Successful completion of English 20-2, Math 20-3 and Science 10, or entrance exam.
  • English 30-2, Math 30-3, Physics 30 or Chemistry 30 or Science 30 and related career and technology studies courses recommended.

Additional information on apprenticeship and industry training is available on Alberta's Tradesecrets website.


You can apply for apprenticeship and industry training through MyTradesecrets.

To arrange a tour, call 403.320.3366 or toll-free 1.800.572.0103.

Alberta Apprenticeship and Industry Training Board

Provincial Building, Room 280
200 - 5th Avenue South
Lethbridge AB   T1J 4C7

Telephone: 1-800-248-4823
Outside of North America: 1-403-476-9757
Fax: 403-381-5795

Ask about the Alberta Apprenticeship Scholarship Program. You might discover you’re eligible for a financial award!

Take a Viewbook

Need more information about Lethbridge College? Browse our viewbook for more details about programs, awards and scholarships, student life and more!

Download viewbook
Student in field with tablet

Apply Now!

Ready to take the next step? Apply online.

Apply Now
Students walking

Delivery Formats

The Plumber and Gasfitter (B) Apprenticeship program is an apprenticeship program delivered face-to-face on campus but may have some blended and hyflex components.


Apprenticeship programs require eight to 12 weeks of classroom training each year in addition to on-the-job training. You’ll work with an employer and our experienced instructors to gain the best of both worlds as you work and earn money while training.


This program includes both face-to-face/on-campus and online delivery in both synchronous (learning occurs in real-time on a set schedule) and asynchronous (learning does not occur at the same time or same place) formats.


This program is offered both on-campus and online; lectures and hands-on training opportunities are delivered through video conference, allowing students the option to attend classes in-person or remotely.


View all courses

Apprenticeship programs require eight to 12 weeks of classroom training each year in addition to on-the-job training. 

Courses include:
  • Gas-fired heating systems
  • Hydronic heating and cooling systems
  • Lawn irrigation
  • Matter, density and relative density
  • Medical gas piping
  • Pressure reducing valves and booster pumps
  • Private and public potable water systems
  • Residential drainage, waste and venting


View course timetables

Tuition and Fees

Title Tuition Fees Books/Supplies
Year 1
Year 2
Year 3
Year 4
View detailed program cost estimates

Costs for supplies may vary considerably depending on what students already have or where they purchased their supplies; cost provided is on the moderately high end.

Budget Wizard

Our Budget Wizard is a free self-service tool that can help you make sense of your finances and the cost of your education. Give it a try!

Budget Wizard

Need more information?