In accordance with the Use of Information Technology Resources Procedure, you are responsible for maintaining passwords for any college associated accounts that you may have. Your myHorizon/domain account is synchronized across most systems, including:
- Office 365/email
- Ellucian Go
- Computer login (lab and staff-assigned computers)
- Wi-fi access
- Colleague UI (staff only)
Note: When you change your password, you need to update your wireless and email passwords on any devices that are set up with this information. This will prevent you from losing connection to the wireless network once your password has changed.
As of May 1, 2019, the password requirements have been updated to enhance security and enable better interaction with Microsoft’s online account management tools.
Your Lethbridge College password must:
- Be at least 12 characters in length
- Contain at least 1 character each of at least 3 of the different character types below:
- Uppercase letter
- Lowercase letter
- Special character: ~!@#$%^&*_-+=`|\():;"'<>,?/.
- Not contain your first or last name
Self Service Password Reset
You are strongly encouraged to set up Self Service Password Reset by clicking this link or clicking "Password Self Service Registration" in the Office 365 Apps menu. You will be asked to provide alternative contact methods for Microsoft to verify your identity in the future, in case you ever forget your password or have trouble signing in.
Once you’ve set up Self Service Password Reset, if you ever forget your password or have trouble signing in, you can use this link or click "Can't access my account" on the Office 365 login screen to reset your password.
Changing your password
If you know your current password, you can change your password at anytime and from anywhere and on any device using this link, or using the "Change Password" link in your Office 365 Account Settings.
If you don’t know your current password, and you haven’t set up Self Service Password Reset (see previous heading above), contact the ITS Help Desk for assistance in resetting your password.
On-campus learners and workers on college-owned Windows computers
You should change your password by following these steps, as this ensures your Windows login password is always up to date:
- Log on to a computer (any staff, lab or commons computer will work).
- Press Ctrl + Alt + Delete.
- Choose Change a Password.
- Follow the prompts to create a new password.
Remote learners and workers on college-owned Windows computers
If you are not on campus, and you are using a college-owned Windows laptop, please follow these steps to ensure your Windows login password is also updated:
- Change your password online using this link:
- Your new password is immediately active for all college resources, however your laptop’s Windows login still uses your old password until you follow the next step…
- Connect to the college network to update your Windows login:
- If you have VPN access, you can sign into the VPN with your new password and stay connected to VPN for at least five minutes. (Employees can request VPN access through the Help Desk.)
- If you don’t have VPN, you will need to continue using your old password for Windows login until you come to campus and connect to the staff network. After connecting for a few minutes, your laptop will see the change on the network and you’ll then use your new password to log into Windows.