Designed for those who are not yet employed or apprenticed within the trades.
Not an apprentice? Not a problem. Kick-start your career in the trades in our Pre-Employment Powerline Technician program. Designed for those who are not yet employed or apprenticed within the trades, the Pre-Employment Powerline Technician program provides the first year of the Alberta Powerline Technician Apprenticeship curriculum as well as various safety certificates and practical training directly relating to the powerline technician trade, including Standard First Aid/CPR and air brake endorsement.
In just 14 weeks, you’ll receive valuable theoretical and hands-on training to enhance your chances of gaining employment in the powerline industry. You’ll gain experience in pole climbing, the use of trade specific tools, RBD setup, groundman duties and basic overhead line construction techniques. With the co-operation of business partners, you’ll also have the opportunity to apply your new skills during a practical field experience.Apply Now Grab and Go Information
As a journeyperson in the Powerline industry, you will have opportunities in:
- Overhead distribution installation.
- Underground distribution installation.
- Maintenance of existing powerlines and service areas.
- Local, provincial, and national powerline industry service providers.
Visit ALIS website for more career information.
the average annual salary of a powerline technician working in Alberta
the number of weeks to go from no experience to writing the first-period Alberta Powerline Technician Apprenticeship exam
September and February
Visit the Program Application Status page for more details.
View the program availability for the upcoming intakes.
This program is not available for International Students.
- Successful completion of English 20-2, Math 20-3, and Science 10, pass Apprenticeship Entrance Exam, or pass mark in all five Canadian General Educational Development (GED) tests.
- A Valid driver’s license (class 3 is recommended).
Take a Viewbook
Need more information about Lethbridge College? Browse our viewbook for more details about programs, awards and scholarships, student life and more!Download viewbook
Ready to take the next step? Apply online.Apply
The Pre-Employment Powerline Technician program is delivered on campus through an apprenticeship-style training but may have some blended and hyflex components.
This program includes both face-to-face/on-campus and online delivery in both synchronous (learning occurs in real-time on a set schedule) and asynchronous (learning does not occur at the same time or same place) formats.
This program is offered both on-campus and online; lectures and hands-on training opportunities are delivered through video conference, allowing students the option to attend classes in-person or remotely.
This program is delivered in a face-to-face format on the main Lethbridge College campus. Lectures, labs and hands-on training opportunities will all take place on campus in Lethbridge.
Upon successful completion of The Pre-Employment Powerline Technician program, you will:
- be able to demonstrate skills and knowledge related to the powerline industry acquired through hands-on training
- be prepared to write the First Year Apprenticeship examination.
- be prepared to be employed within the powerline technician industry in Alberta.
- have learned valuable employability skills.
- obtain a Letter of Completion.
Tuition and Fees
Costs for supplies may vary considerably depending on what students already have or where they purchased their supplies; cost provided is on the moderately high end.
Students will be charged a medical/dental benefit fee unless they opt out by demonstrating alternative coverage prior to the end of the first week of class.