Calling all high school students interested in technology: Show us how you can create and use virtual reality (VR) technology to benefit the real world!
Apply now to compete in Hack and Seek: Alberta XR Career Quest. This fun, free and highly competitive event will be held simultaneously in Lethbridge, Calgary and Edmonton.
May 3-5, 2024
If selected, you will:
- Have access to training workshops to help prepare you for competition
- Be assigned to a team of three to create a VR application for use in a real-world scenario.
- Have the opportunity to present your app to a panel of industry experts who will select the winner
You’ll have a chance to win prizes and bragging rights as Alberta’s first Hack and Seek champion!
Any Grade 10, 11 or 12 student in Alberta can apply. Participants don’t need experience in coding or development, but they do need a love of competition and an interest in technology. This is your chance to experience working in VR, learning from experts and connecting with industry insiders.
When you apply, please pick one location where you could attend:
- Lethbridge College (Lethbridge)
- Bow Valley College (Calgary)
- NAIT (Edmonton)
The competition is free. Food will be provided during the event. Transportation and accommodation, if required, are the participant’s responsibility.
- If you’re younger than 18, make sure you have consent from your parent/guardian to attend if selected.
- Apply below.
If selected, we’ll help you prepare by providing three, two-hour online workshops to help you get familiar with the tools you will use to bring your ideas to life in virtual reality. We strongly recommend you plan to attend all three to be ready for a great hackathon.
- Exploring 3D Modelling with Blender | 2 to 4 p.m. Friday, March 29
Delve into the world of 3D modelling with Blender. In this workshop, you will learn the fundamentals of the Blender interface, practise creating and manipulating 3D models, and understand how to export your creations for Unity.
- Introduction to Unity | 2 to 4 p.m., Friday, April 12
Get familiar with Unity, a powerful tool for game development and interactive media. This workshop covers navigating the Unity interface, importing and working with objects and introduces the basics of C# (C Sharp) coding in Unity. This session will give you the foundational skills needed for digital interactive creation.
- Building VR Experiences with Unity | 2 to 4 p.m. Friday, April 26
Explore the exciting realm of virtual reality and learn how to create immersive environments using Unity. This workshop will guide you through what makes a VR experience stand out and the tools available in Unity to create your own VR content. Start your journey into building interactive VR worlds.
Don’t delay. Space is limited! Applications close on March 11, 2024.
Brought to you by Lethbridge College, Bow Valley College, NAIT, Alberta Innovates, Digital Alberta and our sponsors.