When it comes to cooking, Chef Nikki Soup (Culinary Arts 2015; Culinary Apprenticeship 2016) strikes to find a balance between her traditional roots and the latest food trends. Take the “Crisp Delight” she created for this issue of Wider Horizons. “It starts with a little bit of what I grew up with,” she says – the fried bread, or bannock. To that, she adds two foods she likes – egg and avocado – and tops it off with a food she loves – crisp Italian prosciutto. It makes for a savoury, satisfying meal.
For the fry bread
|1 cup||all-purpose flour|
|1 tbsp.||baking powder|
|1/2 cup||warm water|
|1 tbsp.||vegetable oil|
For the toppings
|2 tsp.||brown sugar|
- Preheat your oven to 350F. Line a pan with parchment paper.
- If you have a deep fryer, fill it with vegetable oil and turn to medium high. If you have a cast iron skillet, fill it with vegetable oil and heat to medium high.
- While oil is heating up, assemble the dry ingredients of the bread dough. Then assemble the liquid ingredients of the bread dough.
- Pour the liquid into the dry ingredients, kneading a few times to make sure all of the ingredients are incorporated and the dough is soft.
- Separate the dough into two balls. Dust your cooking surface with flour. Place the dough down and flatten it with your fingers or palm to make small pancake, about 1/2 inch thick.
- Once the oil is heated (you can check by sprinkling a few drops of water in and see if they sizzle), place each piece of dough into the oil carefully. Cook until each side is golden and light brown.
- While the bread is frying, place the prosciutto on the parchment-lined pan and sprinkle it with brown sugar. Place the pan in the oven and cook until the prosciutto is crisp. This can take a few minutes to nearly 10, depending on the thickness of the prosciutto. You can also pan-fry the prosciutto.
- Peel and slice the avocado. Set aside.
- Check on the bread and flip it, if needed, using tongs. Once the bread is cooked, remove it from the oil and place it on a cooling rack with a pan underneath it to collect the oil drippings. Allow it to cool.
- While the bread cools, grease the pan and fry the egg to whatever preference you like.
- Finally, assemble your sandwich by slicing the bread in half, placing the prosciutto on the bottom half. Add the avocado, and top with the egg.