You’ve made it – you’re a newly hired police officer with a police service. Before you hit the streets, sharpen your front-line policing skills in the Police Cadet Training program. Formed in collaboration with the core police services of southern Alberta, the Police Cadet Training program delivers up-to-date training.
In the Police Cadet Training program, you’ll reinforce crucial skills and knowledge, such as report writing and investigative techniques, while we prepare you to begin your career. Upon completion of the program, your know-how will meet and exceed provincial standards, enhancing your ability to be a vital part of your police service and to make a difference in your community.Apply Now
Visit ALIS website for more career information.
of delivering quality public safety education
4 state-of-the-art learning spaces:
courtroom, crisis apartment, conflict resolution simulators and interviewing rooms
in an annual multi-disciplinary simulated emergency that allows students to react and respond to a crisis unfolding in real time
Flexible – fall, winter or spring depending on agency requirements
Credential / Accreditation
Visit the Program Application Status page for more details.
View the program availability for the upcoming intakes.
Flexible – Fall, Winter, or Spring term depending on police agency requirements.
All admission requirements are stipulated by sponsoring police service or related agency.
Applicants are required to undergo a pre-screening process prior to application. Results of all required testing will be reviewed by the applicable Police Chief to determine eligibility for the program. The pre-screening process may include the following requirements:
- Minimum age 18 at time of application
- Must be Canadian citizen or permanent resident
- Must hold valid driver’s license with maximum of 5 demerits
- No criminal conviction for which a pardon has not been granted
- Completion of medical examination indicating applicant is fit for police duty
- Proof of completion (no older than 6 months) of A-PREP or PARE fitness testing to required standard for police officers in Alberta
- Must complete vision and hearing testing with scores that meet or exceed the minimum requirement for Alberta policing agencies
- Must provide proof of Standard First Aid and CPR certification valid at time of application and for duration of training program
- Completion of Criminal Record Check and Vulnerable Sector Search with no findings of guilt
- Proof of achieving a score of 70% or better on Alberta Police Cognitive Abilities Test (APCAT)
- Proof of achieving a score of 55% or better on Alberta Communications Test (ACT)
- Satisfactory completion of behavioural descriptive interview
- Satisfactory completion of full background check
- Three letters of reference, not from family members
- Successful completion of police psychological testing
- Successful completion of polygraph interview based on content of Personal Disclosure form
Upon successful completion of all program requirements, students are awarded a Police Cadet Training certificate.
Take a Viewbook
Need more information about Lethbridge College? Browse our viewbook for more details about programs, awards and scholarships, student life and more!Download viewbook
Ready to take the next step? Apply online.Apply
The Police Cadet Training program is available through the following delivery methods.
This program is delivered in a face-to-face format on the main Lethbridge College campus. Lectures, labs and hands-on training opportunities will all take place on campus in Lethbridge.
|PCD-1112||Cadet Physical Wellness Training||1.5|
|PCD-1113||Reasonable Officer Response||6|
|PCD-1114||Law Enforcement Firearms||3|
|PCD-1115||Emergency Vehicle Operations||1.5|
|PCD-1121||Client Centered Service||3|
|PCD-1131||Community Policing and Evidence||1.5|
|PCD-1132||Public Order Offences and Interviewing||1.5|
|PCD-1134||Criminal Code Property Offences||3|
|PCD-1137||Impaired Driving Offences||3|
|PCD-1142||Sudden Death Investigations||1.5|
Tuition and Fees
Contact the program office for details on tuition, fees, books and supplies costs.
Our Budget Wizard is a free self-service tool that can help you make sense of your finances and the cost of your education. Give it a try!