We invited college employees to share their go-to movies, a favourite flick they can watch over and over again. When we asked our movie maven and Student Awards funding specialist Michael Doughty for his favourite, he answered without hesitation.
The Godfather (1972) and The Godfather Part 2 (1974). “I actually watched them on Sunday with a few people who had never seen it before, remotely of course.” One of the first-time viewers commented “There’s more depth in the first 20 minutes than anything on Netflix.” As Michael describes it, “The world that Francis Ford Coppola and Mario Puzzo create is so simple, yet set against a backdrop of betrayal, murder and family dynamics. I still get emotional when they get Sonny on the causeway.”
Some other favourites from around campus:
- The Princess Bride (1987). It has pirates, a princess, a fire swamp and a giant and this line: “Have fun storming the castle.” — Terri Rollingson, administrative assistant in Learning Services.
- Mama Mia! The Movie (2008) and Mama Mia! Here We Go Again (2018). Everyone can sing along to ABBA music. — John Carstairs, General Studies instructor
- The Wedding Singer (1998). The soundtrack and wardrobe are just fun (I love everything ’80s. Favourite scene is when Adam Sandler sings at Cindy and Scott’s wedding right after he’s been jilted at the altar. Priceless. — Megan Colgan, administrative assistant, Centre for Teaching, Learning and Innovation
- Pitch Perfect (2012) or Guardians of the Galaxy (2014). They’re both plain and simple and make me laugh. — Diane Gallagher, projects coordinator, Be Fit For Life
- Step Brothers (2008) and Zoolander (2001). From Will Farrell fan and Institutional Planning Specialist Melissa Vander Heide.