Red Beet and Onion Potage Soup
Yield: 8 portions / 200ml each
- 700 gram (1 1/2 lbs)
- red beets ( fresh)
- 40 ml (3 TBS) butter
- 150 gram (medium sized)
- onion medium dice
- 1500 ml (6 1/2 cups) chicken stock
- 150 gram (medium sized) potatoes, small dice
- To taste salt
- To taste pepper
- 500 ml (2 cups) whipping cream
1) Wash beets leaving skins and tops on.
2) Place in a large pot and add enough water to cover, allow to simmer till soft about 30- 40 minutes.
3) In an additional pot melt butter, add onions and allow to brown over low heat, if timed right this will take as long as the beets.
4) When beets are soft allow to cool, then peel and rough chop them, add to onions
5) Allow beets and onions to continue to caramelize then add stock and potatoes.
6) When potatoes are soft, about 20 minutes, remove pot from heat and puree the soup.
7) Pureeing can be done either by use of a hand blender, or stand up blender.
8) Return to heat when blended to desired consistency.
9) Season with salt and pepper.
10) At service finish with a dollop of lightly whipped cream.