Lethbridge College has planned events throughout Truth and Reconciliation Week so our community can gain knowledge and confidence in integrating Truth and Reconciliation in our lives.
All are welcome and encouraged to take part in these events that are a mix of celebration, including the arrival of the college’s Winter Count Robe, as well as education about the history and legacy of residential schools and honouring the survivors, their families and affected communities.
- Read and reflect on the United Nations Declaration on the Rights of Indigenous Peoples, the 94 Calls to Action by the Truth and Reconciliation Commission and the story behind Orange Shirt Day.
- Enrol in Lethbridge College’s Niitsitapi Proficiency Micro-credential.
- Check out the Iissksiniip Coulee Walk on the west side of campus.
- Listen to Lethbridge College’s Truth and Reconciliation Podcast.
- Watch Residential School Survivor Stories.
- Enhance your learning of local Indigenous languages by purchasing an Indigenous authored book from the Lethbridge College bookstore, and support Indigenous creators and businesses by following one or more on your social media.
- Read about sacred spaces in Blackfoot Territory and celebrate Lethbridge College’s stories of the buffalo in Wider Horizons (stop by CE2315A if you’d like to pick up a hard copy).
- Learn more about the land by visiting Writing-on-Stone Provincial Park, Head-Smashed-In Buffalo Jump World Heritage Site, and the Galt Museum and Archives, and then write your own Land Acknowledgement.
- Attend a local indigenous event. The Movie Mill has free showings of the film Bones of Crows this week.
- Participate in Lethbridge College’s Truth and Reconciliation Week events.
Schedule of Events
|Trades Building |
|TRC Week Launch |
Opening Event MC Lowell Yellowhorn
Opening Remarks: Dr. Brad Donaldson
Winter Count Robe Unveiling
Dr. Sam Lenci
Orange Shirt Day! Wear your Orange shirt
|In front of E.C. Fredericks |
|Buffalo Stew and Bannock|
|E.C. Fredericks |
|Land Acknowledgement video launch |
** all faculty will be supplied with access to the video with hopes they share video in classes this week
|Centre Core |
|Launch Indigenous Services New Logo|
|E.C. Fredericks |
|Residential School Presentation |
Guest Speaker, Wilton Good Striker. A former Police Officer in Calgary, former Tribal manager for Blood Tribe. Currently retired and now serving as a knowledge keeper for his people. Athlete; hockey, basketball, track and field, rodeo and a recipient of the Tom Longboat award.
|Front Lawn / Centre Core |
|Tipi Set-up |
Kodiaks Indigenous Jersey Launch & CCAA award acknowledgement, Frybread & Orange Shirt Project
|Soccer field |
10:30 a.m.-1:30 p.m.
|Tipi Set-up and Information Booth |
Wear your Orange shirts