I think I have experienced sexual misconduct

Health and Shepell Counselling Services is to be the first point of contact on campus to help individuals navigate the policy (or learn about their rights) and to learn of and connect to appropriate support services.

If you have experienced any form of sexual misconduct, there are a number of options available to you for support and care. It is your choice to choose from the following: 

Are you safe?

If you are in danger or for imminent life-threatening situations, call 911. For all other situations, if you are on campus, call Security Services at 403-320-3206 available 24 hours a day, 7 days a week.

Can you find a place that you feel physically and emotionally safe? You might want to go to a safe place, like the home of a friend, co-worker, parent or someone else you trust.

Safewalk is available to walk you to your destination on campus 24 hours a day, 7 days a week. To request a Safewalk, call Security at 403-320-3206 or stop by their office located in Centre Core (CE1301).

Do you require medical attention?

For emergency care within five days of the sexual assault, please access the emergency department of the Chinook Regional Hospital. Identify you’ve been sexually assaulted and need medical care. The emergency room will contact a support worker from the YWCA’s Amethyst Project. The support worker will review your options for medical care and reporting. Currently you have three options:

  • You can choose to not report to police but still access medical care, in which case you may receive treatment for injuries, pregnancy prevention, as well as testing or treatment for STIs by the ER doctor.
  • You can choose to report the assault to police, in which case the SART (Sexual Assault Response Team) will be contacted. SART is a team of specially trained female doctors that will provide medical care, pregnancy prevention, testing or treatment for STIs as well as collect evidence for the purpose of criminal investigation. You have the opportunity to provide consent for each procedure in the exams.
  • You can choose to report the assault at a later date. In this case, SART can collect evidence to be stored by the Amethyst Project for up to one year. In this situation, you do not have to report to police immediately, giving you the option to report within the year that the evidence is stored.

If you reside outside of Lethbridge, you may still go to Chinook Regional Hospital or your local ER department.

Even if you do not have obvious or visible injuries, you may require medical care. Consider being tested for STIs or pregnancy. There are a few options for this type of medical care:

On campus: Health and Shepell Counselling Services
Location: CE1380
Phone: 403-320-3289
Hours: Monday ­– Friday 8 ­– 4 p.m. (during the academic year)

Off campus: AHS Sexual Health Centre
Location: 740 4 Ave S Suite 300, Lethbridge
Phone: 403 320-0110

  • Monday: 8 a.m. ­– 4:30 p.m.
  • Tuesday: 9:30 a.m. – 6 pm
  • Wednesday: 8 a.m. – 4:30 p.m.
  • Thursday: 9:30 a.m. – 6 p.m.
  • Friday: 8 a.m. – 4:30 p.m.
  • Walk-in hours (may change due to demand and RN availability):
  • Monday, Wednesday, Friday: 9 – 11:30 a.m. and 1 – 4 p.m.
  • Tuesday, Thursday: 9:30 a.m. – 5:30 p.m.
  •  Office closed Monday, Wednesday, Friday: noon - 1 p.m.

You can also access these services through your family physician.

Find support

On campus

You may choose to disclose the incidence of sexual violence to anyone within the college community. By disclosing, you are simply sharing your experience, which opens up the opportunity to be informed about your options for support and reporting – but know that YOU get to choose what steps you take. We are here to inform and help – but every choice along the way is ultimately yours.

Health and Shepell Counselling Services is committed to providing compassionate, trauma-informed care that will assist you in making the decision that is best for you in terms of:

  • medical care
  • internal and external reporting processes
  • referrals to on- and off-campus support services, such as a sexual assault advocate and counselling


Health and Shepell Counselling Services is to be the first point of contact on campus to help individuals navigate the policy (or learn about their rights) and to learn of and connect to appropriate support services.

Health and Shepell Counselling Services

Shepell Student Support crisis line

  • 1-855-649-8641

Resident Assistant (for those living in Residence)

  • Office hours: 403-329-7218
  • After hours: 403-360-9703

Shepell Employee Family Assistance crisis line

  • 1-800-387-4765

Security Services

  • CE1301
  • 403-320-3206

Off campus

Chinook Sexual Assault Centre

Emergency Services

  • call 9-1-1 if at imminent risk
  • if calling from inside the college; 9-9-1-1

Lethbridge Police Service

Lethbridge Family Services:

  • Intake Coordinator 403-327-5724.
  • Provides individual, couples and family counselling on a wide range of issues such as sexual violence, trauma, family violence, gender issues, sexual orientation issues, child/adult abuse and neglect.

YWCA The Amethyst Project:

  • 24-hour crisis line: 403-320-1881
  • Provides support to individuals who have experienced sexual violence and will advocate throughout the process of receiving medical care, reporting and connecting them to appropriate resources.


    Reporting processes

    Choosing to report is completely up to you and what you believe will help you heal. You can take time to think about it and, if you would like, discuss with someone you trust. If you decide that reporting is best for you, you can report in the following ways:

    Disclosure only

    You share your experience with a professional at Health and Shepell Counselling Services. Options for support will be provided.

    Formal internal report

    You make a formal report about an incident on campus. Lethbridge College will launch an administrative investigation to determine whether the Sexual Misconduct Prevention and Response Policy was violated. If so, this process will determine sanctions for the respondent. You will be provided options for support.

    Individuals who experience any violation of Lethbridge College’s Sexual Violence Prevention and Response Policy have the option to formally report the experience to:

    Once reported to one of the above, the lead first responder(s) will perform an inquiry or will bring the report to the attention of the Lethbridge College Threat Assessment Team for review and decision regarding appropriate actions.

    Criminal investigation

    You report your experiences to the police. In doing so, individuals can file a formal report with the college and seek a criminal investigation by police at the same time.

    A report can be made to local police in an effort to pursue criminal charges under the Criminal Code of Canada. You can file a report with the Lethbridge Police or RCMP, which may result in obtaining a No-Contact or Restraining Order and/or criminal charges being laid against the other person(s).

    If you choose to file a report with police, you will also have access to Victim Services, who will provide support through the criminal process.

    How do I report a sexual assault to the police?

    Call 911. If you are in immediate danger, dial 911. Help will come to you, wherever you are.

    Contact the Lethbridge Police Service. Call the non-emergency reporting line at 403-328-4444 or go to the station in person.

    Go to the hospital. If you are at the hospital or being treated for injuries resulting from a sexual assault, tell a medical professional or The Amethyst Project Sexual Assault Advocate that you wish to report the crime and a police officer will attend. You can also choose to have a sexual assault forensic exam. It is the responsibility of the police to conduct a thorough investigation.

    During the course of the investigation many steps will be taken including, where possible, every effort to provide an interviewer of the victim’s preferred gender. When you report a sexual assault, a police officer will take a statement from you to complete an initial report.

    Depending on the nature of the sexual assault, the officer may ask you to go to the hospital to treat any injuries and to have a sexual assault evidence kit taken. The officer may also seize any clothing or other articles that may contain forensic evidence. As the investigation proceeds, the officer will keep you updated on its progress. If there is sufficient evidence or grounds to support charges, charges will be sworn and police will continue to assist you throughout the duration of the court process.

    Third-party disclosure

    If you know of an incident of sexual misconduct that happened to someone else and you are worried for their safety, you can inform Health and Shepell Counselling Services in person or by confidential email: SVsupport@lethbridgecollege.ca.