Lethbridge College delivers apprenticeship training for the following programs:
- Agriculture Equipment Technician
- Automotive Service Technician
- Electrician (alternate delivery)
- Heavy Equipment Technician
- Parts Technician
- Plumber and Gasfitter
For general information on the apprentice programs, visit our Trades website.
Becoming an Apprentice
If you are interested in becoming an apprentice and have selected the field you would like to enter, you can take the next steps to becoming an apprentice through one of the pathways below:
Find an employer
You can become an apprentice if you have found an employer who has agreed to hire you as an apprentice.
Pre employment with Lethbridge College
You can enrol in one of the pre-employment programs that Lethbridge College offers. For details on how the pre-employment program will help you in becoming an apprentice, contact the Apprenticeship Board or request information from our Trades website.
Apply to Become an Apprentice
There are a few steps you need to take to become an apprentice. Once you have your trade selected, and have found an employer or have opted to take pre-employment with LC you will need to:
- Visit MyTradeSecrets and apply with the Apprentice and Industry Training (AIT) website
- You will be required to verify your identity with AIT
- Visit MyAlberta Digital ID Basic Account and set up an account
- Locate your Alberta Student Number (ASN) Lookup ASN | Government of Alberta
- Fill out your application on MyTradeSecrets
The easiest and quickest way to register for an apprentice program is through My Trade Secrets (MTS). Once you have been approved through the apprenticeship board, you can register and pay online (credit card) for your course.
If you are registering through a sponsorship or purchase order, you can register by email. Simply complete and email the apprentice registration form and email to email@example.com
If the course you are wanting to register for is full, you have the following options:
- You can go on the waitlist through your MTS account. Tuition is not required to be added to the waitlist.
- You may also register for another intake and if space becomes available for the waitlisted class, your registration and tuition can be moved without penalty.
If a seat becomes available, waitlisted students will be contacted in the order that they were added to the waitlist. Ensure your personal contact information is up-to-date on both your MTS and Lethbridge College accounts.
Accessing your LC Email
As an apprentice with Lethbridge College, you will be assigned a Lethbridge College email address through Office 365.
Our primary method of communication with you will be through your college email account. It is important to monitor your email as important information will be sent to you from various areas of the institution.
Once you have logged into Office 365, go to Outlook in the Apps section to access your email account. We encourage you to set up Self Service Password Reset by clicking this link or clicking "Password Self Service Registration" in the Office 365 Apps menu, in case you ever forget your password or have trouble signing in.
Details on accessing your Lethbridge College email can be found here.
Viewing your Schedule
To view your schedule, you can log into Self Service and select Student Planning under the Academics tab.
Tuition and Refund Policy
Tuition for each program can be found on our Trades website.
Should you be unable to attend, the following refund policy will apply based on the date Lethbridge College is notified:
|Any time up to 20 business days before the first day of class||Full refund of tuition paid less $150|
|Less than 20 business days before the first day of class||Full refund of tuition less $300|
|After 3rd day of class||No refund of tuition|
As a Student in a Trades program (apprentice), you are able to apply for and collect Employment Insurance (EI) employment insurance while you attend class.
There are some steps to follow to apply for EI
- Apply for EI during your last week of work before starting class
- An employment insurance reference code is required to access the EI form. We will email this code to you
- Contact Service Canada, Employment Insurance for Apprentices, or 1.800.206.7218 if you require additional information
- It is important to note that your EI payments can take anywhere four to six weeks after you start classes to receive your EI payments. It is strongly encouraged that you plan to have other financial supports in place during this time
Awards and Scholarships
For more information on possible financial support, visit our Student Awards and Financial Aid page.
All receipts for payments made can be found on Self Service for students under the Financial Information tab on the left hand side of the menu, Student Finance, and then Account Summary.
My Trade Secrets
Apprentices can access and manage personal student information through MyTradeSecrets. MyTradeSecrets is a virtual way to interact with your information and allow you to independently:
- Search for classes
- Complete online registration
- Update your personal information
- Look at your class schedule
- Review waitlist status
- View application status
- Cancel a course
- Cancel a waitlist space
- Review exams and grades
Student ID Card (Selfie ID)
For student and employee ID cards, we offer a selfie ID service. To request your ID card, visit our SelfieID page for instructions. Once the ID card has been created, it will be ready for pick up in the Apprenticeship Trades Building.
Various services are available for apprentices when attending Lethbridge College:
General information regarding parking can be found here
Books are available to purchase online or in person. If you order books online 2 days prior to the start of class, your books can be delivered to your classroom for the first day of class.
If you need learning support for physical or learning disabilities, sensory impairments, mental health issues or chronic medical conditions our experts are there to support you. We can help with funding and review the disability documentation. For full information, visit their website here.
A limited number of housing units are set aside specifically for apprentices. For more information, visit their website here.
Gym memberships are available and include use of squash/racquetball courts, weight room, gymnasiums (during open recreation times), and steam room. Click here for more details.
Details regarding library services and access can be found here.
The Lethbridge College Students Association (LCSA) offers a variety of services. To visit their website, click here.