Our Institutional Compliance office works to identify areas of risk and potential liability, and to develop risk response strategies to mitigate loss and maximize opportunities. We promote a culture of risk awareness by involving all college stakeholders in the day-to-day management of risks. An integral part of promoting this culture is advancing the college’s enterprise risk management framework (ERM) and embedding risk ownership into management activities at all levels of the institution.
We provide advice on risk-related matters such as:
- business continuity
- emergency preparedness
- insurance claims management
- insurance placement
- international placement
- loss prevention
- risk identification and assessment
Institutional Compliance resources
Our office administers all insurance policies for the college and offers guidance and support to the college community for:
- negotiation and purchase of college insurance and reviewing/processing documentation
- claims adjustment, negotiation and administration
- contract review with respect to indemnity and insurance issues
We also act as a resource centre for the college, providing day-to-day advice, assessments of risk and liability exposures, and documentation to all departments.
Certificate of insurance procedure
If you are asked to produce proof of insurance or a certificate of insurance (e.g. as part of a contract requirement or registration package), submit the following documentation to firstname.lastname@example.org:
- specific dates of the event
- trade shows: include the set-up and take-down dates
- evening functions: include the next day to capture the early morning hours of the previous night’s event
- certificate holder’s mailing address
- indication of an annual certificate
- indication that it be sent to anyone other than yourself
- on occasion, the requester asks to have a copy forwarded directly to a specific person
Note: It takes approximately three to five business days to produce the certificate once the form is complete and all of the documentation has been received.
Automobile loss procedure
In the event of an accident involving a college-owned vehicle:
- If necessary, report the incident to the appropriate authorities (e.g. emergency personnel, police).
- Obtain the other party’s:
- contact information
- insurance information
If possible, secure the same details from any witnesses and record the name of any attending medical/emergency personnel and the name of any medical facility accessed.
Note: Do not admit liability or offer your opinion of liability to anyone. Do not offer any compensation.
- Take immediate measures to protect and preserve your property from further damage. If possible, take pictures of damaged property.
- Do not proceed with repairs, alterations or replacement of the damaged vehicle until advised by the insurer or adjuster, except as required for step 3.
- Complete the Accident Report form promptly and as completely as possible and forward it to the Risk Management office along with supporting information.
Note: Do not wait to collect all information before reporting the accident.
You’ll find information on what to expect next and the accident report form in the College Auto Loss Procedure and Report PDF.
Requesting a WCB clearance letter
To request a WCB clearance letter:
- Go to the WCB website.
- Choose “I am hiring one or more companies and need a clearance on their account.”
- Enter who the certificate is for.
- Type Lethbridge College.
- Select Add to list.
- Click Next.
- Enter your WCB Account Number.
- Conduct a search if you have forgotten it.
- Click Next.
- Enter your email address in the Send Clearance box.
- If required, enter an email address to send a copy to.
- Select Send Letter.
College students, faculty and staff frequently travel abroad for college-related purposes. International travel may pose significant health and safety risks, and for this reason it is beneficial for you to inform Institutional Compliance, as it adds another layer of protection for you and the college in the event of an emergency.
We encourage travelers to carefully plan trips prior to departure. Preparation for travel should take the following into consideration:
- government warnings
- college policies
- health insurance
- including medical and country-specific requirements
If you are travelling internationally for college purposes, you must complete an International Travel Declaration form and return it to the Institutional Compliance office (TE1261):
Business continuity planning
Business continuity planning prepares the college to continue operations at acceptable, predefined levels following a disruptive incident. By identifying potential threats and the effect they may have on our operations, a framework can be developed for an effective, timely response that safeguards the interests of our:
- students, staff and faculty
- reputation and brand
- key external stakeholders
Business continuity planning allows departments to identify critical processes and the resources (e.g. people, systems, equipment, documents) required to maintain those processes before a disruption. Proactive changes can then be made ahead of time, reducing the severity of potential loss and ensuring a timely response after the disruption.
A common misconception is that business continuity planning is the same as emergency management. Although they are both closely related and have significant areas of overlap, they are not the same. Emergency management focuses on developing an institutional framework for responding to major emergencies, whereas business continuity planning is a process to speed our recovery after a disruption.
Who needs a business continuity plan?
We recommend every department on and off campus, regardless of size or function, prepare a business continuity plan. Every plan should be reviewed annually to ensure it is up-to-date. If major departmental changes occur, the plan may require more frequent reviews.
If your department does not have a business continuity plan, contact us. A risk and planning analyst will visit your department to provide further details and help get you started.