There’s always something happening at the Centre for Applied Research and Innovation. Whether we’re hosting a training workshop or promoting an entrepreneurship series from one of our RINSA partners, there’s an opportunity for anyone interested in applied research to gain more skills, knowledge and understanding.
The world’s first full-day VR/AR conference held completely in virtual reality is back for its second year. Join us for Merging Realities to engage with people from around the world, learn from industry professionals and explore the capabilities of VR/AR. This year we will explore education, training and collaboration using VR/AR technologies. Learn about the benefits of VR for information recall and understand how AR can increase student engagement.
Lethbridge College and the VR/AR Association (VRARA) are pleased to welcome Centennial College as a partner this year. Attendees at the April 25 event will be able to participate at the Lethbridge College campus, the Centennial College campus or in virtual reality from around the world.
For more information visit the Merging Realities page.
Congratulations to the winners of the Innovate Ag Competition!
AgENT is proud to announce the winners of the inaugural Innovate Ag competition. Teams pitched their solutions to industry-provided problems to a panel of expert judges at Saturday’s (April 6, 2019) competition.
The winning teams were:
- First place - “Full Circle Foods” - Grant Vossebelt, Mallory Adams and Evan Weir. This team’s innovative idea tackled the issue of food waste. They also won the People's Choice award.
- Second place – “Haskii Inc.” - Stefanie Vandenberg and Anjo Van Driel. Their innovative idea diversified southern Alberta’s agriculture with a high-value crop and value-added products.
- Third place - “Ag Consultants” - Brody Wauters, Joshua Leith, Katy Van Garderen and Ryan Devisser. Their innovative idea addressed the industry-provided challenge of improving communication.
Full details about the competition are here.
Get a hands-on look at the past, present and future of interior design as we showcase the work of Lethbridge College's Interior Design Technology students. Drop in and enjoy appetizers, meet with students, instructors and industry professionals, and learn more about the limitless opportunities of VR.
1st Annual Lethbridge College Student Research Symposium A Huge Success
Thank you to all the participants and organizers for making our first annual Student Research Symposium on April 2nd, 2019, a HUGE success!
Featuring thirty-six 10-15 minute oral presentations and 46 poster presentations from students in: Civil Engineering, Environmental Science, Microbiology, and Irrigation Science, the evening showcased the excellent research being conducted by students at Lethbridge College.
Here are the award winners:
- 1st prize ($150.00) - 3-way tie; each winner gets total prize value
- Riley Fast - Using a high resolution model for mapping evapo-transpiration with an unmanned aerial vehicle (UAV) mounted thermal infrared and multispectral sensor
- Alysia Kirby - Implications of habitat type on bird diversity in urban nature preserve
- Anna Klippenstein - Mapping green spaces to evaluate wildlife connectivity corridors in Lethbridge, AB
- 2nd prize ($100.00)
- Andrew Thacker - The effects of solid fish waste on crop yield
- 3rd prize ($50.00)
- Ben Gregorash - MPPT and PWM Solar Charge Controllers
- Honorable Mention Envi Sci. ($50.00)
- Crystal Campbell - Isotope characterization of Beaver Creek in the Porcupine hills of Southern Alberta
- Alyssa Barbero - Riparian pasture cattle distribution patterns in the Castle Prov Park, AB
- Honorable Mention Engineering ($50.00) - 2-way tie; each group gets total prize value to be split among group
- Tyler Aikema & Autum Blanchard - Plywood Fastening Strength Testing
- Ralph Dabao, Nathan McMurray & Austin Bruder - Optimizing a Lacrosse Stick
We can't wait for next year!!
For further information, contact Dustin Fraser
Inaugural Lethbridge College Applied Research Conference - Tuesday, May 14, 2019
We're proud to invite the Lethbridge community to our 1st annual Applied Research Conference on Tuesday, May 14, 2019.
This all day event will run from 10:00am to 5:30pm in the IB Theatres and will feature Ray Hoemsen, Executive Director of Research Partnerships and Innovation at Red River College as the keynote speaker.
Faculty, researchers, and staff will present their research throughout the day, and tours of our research facilities will be available.
Abstracts for presentations are now being accepted from all employees. The submission form is online; submissions must be received electronically by 4 p.m. Friday, April 12th.
A complete schedule will be available soon.
For more information, contact Dr. Willemijn Appels
New publication on aerobic bioreactor technology
Our Aquaculture Centre of Excellence researchers, Dr. Zied Khiari, Soba, Kaluthota, and Dr. Nick Savidov have recently published the article, "Aerobic bioconversion of aquaculture solid waste into liquid fertilizer: Effects of bioprocess parameters on kinetics of nitrogen mineralization", in the February 2019 edition of Aquaculture.
Animal Care Committee (ACC) meeting & protocol submission deadline
The next ACC meeting will occur in June 2019.
The deadline for the submission of NEW protocol applications to the ACC Coordinator is: TBA. For new teaching protocols, a Pedagogical Merit Assessment Form must be included and for ALL new protocol applications, an Evidence of Skills and Training Form is required.
The deadline for the submission of protocol RENEWALS to the ACC Coordinator is: TBA.
For more information and application forms, please visit the ACC page.
RT @RHAccelerator: How innovations like #Blockchain can improve food safety & Quality.
The AgENT program is very excited to be growing! #Agriculture #Entrepreneurship #Innovation #RINSA https://t.co/xVJI9h5VRD
The Regional Innovation Network of Southern Alberta (RINSA) is looking for women of all ages and skill levels inter… https://t.co/ejCtZWk3Xv
In collaboration with our RINSA partners, we offer several different programs for entrepreneurs in southern Alberta. These programs are open to everyone. If you would like more information on any of these programs, contact us.
Three Day Startup was designed with two specific goals in mind:
- build entrepreneurial capabilities
- kick-start new entrepreneurs to run companies
Over the course of three days, you’ll learn entrepreneurial skills in an extremely hands-on environment.
In this applied program, you’ll learn how to engage customers and discover their motivations, preferences and needs. You’ll be expected to:
- deliver a 60-second pitch
- conduct customer interviews
- share the results with peers and advisors at each session
- mold your business model on a weekly basis
Do you have a sustainable, high-growth business idea? Take it to the next level in the Chinook Entrepreneur Challenge (CEC). Open to individuals and teams, CEC is a business plan writing competition that is designed and targeted towards new and existing businesses.
Leveraging your knowledge about customer and market needs, you’ll build a simple minimum viable product for your start-up in the Validate Series. Your product will then be validated with real target customers, providing you with raw data to help improve your idea.
The Go-to-Market Program is a must for technology companies. The program helps maximize successful execution in market entry, product launch and revenue growth by addressing marketplace challenges and focusing on strategy and implementation. Over an intensive four months, the curriculum is delivered through:
- five bi-weekly half-day sessions
- weekly webinars
- weekly homework assignments
RT @LethCollege: Welcome to the 2019 edition of #MergingRealities!
The world’s first full-day VR/AR conference held completely in… https://t.co/zTBGHJzF88
RT @lc_agent: The AgENT program is very excited to be growing! #Agriculture #Entrepreneurship #Innovation #RINSA https://t.co/xVJI9h5VRD
Good luck to all @LethCollege students who are writing final exams this week - and the faculty who have to mark them... You’ve got this!